Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

VPN Newbie

• cwn316
  • Topic Author
More
15 Nov 2021 18:04 #1 by cwn316
VPN Newbie was created by cwn316
Hi
New here and new to VPN so apologies if my query has been asked before, I just can't seem to find an answer when I searched.
Basically my work has set up VPN access for us to access the office server remotely from home.
We use the Draytek Smart VPN client for which we have login details.
Everything works fine when I connect my personal laptop to my home vodafone router via. a network cable, The VPN connects and I can access the server remotely no problem. It also works ok if I connect my laptop to my mobile phone hotspot.
However, when I connect to my vodafone home broadband router via. wifi and try to connect to the VPN using the smart client it times out when trying to authenticate the connection.

I contacted vodafone and they claim the problem is not with the vodafone router if I can still access the internet via. wifi.
And so they think the issue must be with the Draytek setup.

Anybody able to offer some advice of what I should check or what the potential issue could be ie. would it be a problem on my setup that I need to check or would it be the way the office has set up the VPN or maybe some setting I need to change on the router etc.

I changed the DNS settings on the vodafone router to 8,8,8,8 as suggested on a vodafone forum but that didn't cure the problem.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Nov 2021 14:06 #2 by adrian.bromley
Replied by adrian.bromley on topic Re: VPN Newbie
Hi,

Make a mental note (if you have not already done so) of the hostname that the VPN client connects to - eg vpn.domain.co.uk or 123.4.5.6

Can you ping, by name and/or IP that hostname?

If so, we can continue.

If not, we need to invesigate further.

Adrian

More
17 Nov 2021 14:08 #3 by adrian.bromley
Replied by adrian.bromley on topic Re: VPN Newbie
... just to be clear, I mean when your laptop is connected to your home network.

• cwn316
  • Topic Author
More
17 Nov 2021 17:35 #4 by cwn316
Replied by cwn316 on topic Re: VPN Newbie
I can ping to it when I have the laptop hard wired to the router, as the vpn authenticates and connects OK.

But over WiFi it doesn't ping, the ping request times out, which I am putting down to the fact that the draytek smart vpn client won't connect and just times out when it tries to authenticate the vpn connection when trying to connect over WiFi.

Just to be clear the laptop connects no problem to the router over WiFi for the Internet so that is conncted OK when I try to connect to the vpn.