DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Smart VPN Client - DNS issues

More
09 Jan 2022 23:51 #1 by dimco
Smart VPN Client - DNS issues was created by dimco
I am trying to setup SSL VPN with a 2862, it is simple to do but unable to set the DNS.

If I simply leave SmartVPN settings to auto, it will bring up the office ISP's DNS (Which is Virgin 194.168.4.123/194.168.8.123)
I tried to manually edit the Draytek VPN's IPv4 with the office's DNS ( 192.168.6.100 ), but this setting is lost as soon as I close the dialog box and start a new connection.
I next tried to add the DNS to the Draytek's SmartVPN client as in pictures, this does forced the office DNS but it still kept the two ISP's DNS so it is not solving the problem
(Please see attached pic)

I also tested using Softether VPN, and this allowed me to manually add the Office's DNS ( 192.168.6.100 ) so this gave the user full access to the office LAN including joining a domain which is critical for me.
But what they give they also take away, such as it remember the user password automatically and no option to forget so again not a total solution.

Is there a fix for the SmartVPN option to force it to use manually entered DNS only or fixing the IPv4 dialog to remember the settings ?

Thanks for any help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
10 Jan 2022 17:44 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Smart VPN Client - DNS issues
Have you tried addressing this at the Vigor 2862 end?

As in, set the DNS Servers in the DHCP configuration, for the VPN network in question.

(I'm surprised this is in not in place anyway, given the mention of a 'domain' aka Active Directory.)

Alternatively, do you have to use SSL VPN? ... SmartVPN using L2TP/IPSec just modifies a 'Dialup-Networking' profile called 'To-Vigor' You could create your own and configure TCP/IP in there.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
10 Jan 2022 17:46 #3 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Smart VPN Client - DNS issues
Or as an afterthought - what happens if you modify the 'DraySSLTunnel' IP properties directly in Windows? - which is what is used for an SSL VPN