Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

NordVPN newbie question

• piste basher
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
06 May 2022 15:16 #7 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: NordVPN newbie question
If I specify e.g. 8.8.8.8 as the IP address (I can connect to Google via VPN) I get the same result (i.e. packet was sent according to....) as when specifying 212.58.246.0 (a BBC IP address but can't connect to the BBC via VPN).

Not that it matters, as I'm not sure I want everything to go out via VPN as it will probably screw my streaming services unless I faff about creating exceptions.

Indeed, I'm not sure that I want a VPN anyway. I think I can get my money back during the next 30 days, unless someone can give me a compelling reason for keeping it.

I have also found that installing the NordVPN app on my iPhone and having it "connect on demand" means that my Three 4G never actually connects....

Pretty useless all round really :?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
07 May 2022 09:26 #8 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: NordVPN newbie question

Piste Basher wrote:
Not that it matters, as I'm not sure I want everything to go out via VPN as it will probably screw my streaming services unless I faff about creating exceptions.
Indeed, I'm not sure that I want a VPN anyway. I think I can get my money back during the next 30 days, unless someone can give me a compelling reason for keeping it.

About the only case I could make for using a commercial VPN, is to access streaming services :wink: (thus effectively changing my geographical location).

It may be, that streaming services fight back and block 'well-known' VPN end-point addresses...

More
11 May 2022 15:28 #9 by pharcyder
Replied by pharcyder on topic Re: NordVPN newbie question
Sounds like the MTU on the tunnel needs lowering. From the Router CLI:

vpn mss set 1 1200

'1' is the Tunnel Index Number in the LAN to LAN list
'1200' is the MTU size for the tunnel.

Start at 1200 and raise slowly until things stop working to get to the max.

• piste basher
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
06 Jun 2022 16:31 #10 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: NordVPN newbie question
Sorry it's taken me a while to reply - just thought I'd try this again. I tried that last suggestion starting with MTU 1200 and that didn't make any difference I'm afraid. Still no access to e.g. the BBC, whilst Google etc work fine.

In any event, my IPv6 address is still exposed when using the VPN on the router, although it isn't if I use the Nord app on a PC, so it appears to be a waste of effort.