3910 ikve2 remote dial in connections stopped working

• robhawkins
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
22 Sep 2022 13:46 #1 by robhawkins
Hi all,

We have a 3910 in a datacentre, and its been in there since Jan this year.

We have about 15 users connecting to it via ikev2 and this has been working with no problems since then.

Last Wed those ikev2 logins stopped working (connecting from a variety of Windows/desktops/laptops some Windows 11 most Windows 10 all using the built in Windows VPN connections).

The error was:

The network between your computer and the VPN server could not be established because the remote server is not responding. This could be because one of network devices (e.g. firewalls, NAT, routers, etc) between your computer and the remote server is not configured to allow VPN connections. Please contact your Administrator or your service provider to determine which device may be causing the problem.

I managed to get onto the router via another means at our disposal, so I knew it was all up and running okay. The guys at the datacentre confirmed no changes at there end (and there are no firewalls or similar between our draytek and the outside world in place by the Datacentre guys). They did notice there was a brief outage that morning in terms of connectivity on the line we were using of 1 min, but that resolved itself.

We restarted the router remotely, but that made no difference.

I set up a Wireguard VPN connection and that worked fine so I created a few of those for the team so that they could carry on with their work.

The next morning (Thu), we couldn't connect to the Draytek at all via any of our routes in and reading about the Wireguard VPN implementation with the Draytek it seemed likely the memory leak issue took it down. So I got the latest firmware from the USA Draytek (4.3.2) site went to the datacentre installed that and rebooted.

ikev2 connections still dont work, so I have switched everyone over to lt2p/ipsec instead and that seems to be fine.

Anyone got any ideas what may have caused this? (the clock on the Draytek is correct)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
22 Sep 2022 23:35 #2 by hornbyp
Could it be an expired certificate :?:

If the 3910 itself has anything useful to say about the issue, SYSLOG is the place to look...

• robhawkins
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
24 Sep 2022 10:40 #3 by robhawkins
^^
Thanks will check that out!