DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Clutching at straws - 2862 as standalone VPN server?

• mikehughesc
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
24 Nov 2022 21:59 #1 by mikehughesc
My home network (in France) had until recently a Draytek 2862 router, which had a permanent site-to-site VPN to a Fritz!Box router at my flat in the UK. Thanks to the flexibility of the Draytek I could send traffic via the VPN depending on the source IP (e.g. the TV). Access to BBC iPlayer thereby assured (and yeah I do have a TV licence in the flat, so I don't feel too guilty!) It all worked wonderfully (if a little slow).

Then along came France's superfast fibre - FTTP @ 2 gigabit, even here in rural back-of-beyond. OMG it is so quick.

So I can't use the Draytek as my main router any more, and I'm stuck (for various reasons) with the ISP's rubbish Livebox 6. But I was wondering whether it might be possible to set the Draytek up as a kind of standalone VPN server. I have a Microsoft Windows 2019 server on the network, and I could easily use that for DHCP, which would make it easy to set up policies so that specific devices (the TV) get a different gateway (the Draytek).

But at this point I start to feel I'm drowning in my own ignorance. So at the risk of appearing a total idiot: is there any way that I could use my 2862 within my network, as a standalone VPN server, to take traffic from certain clients (the TV) and direct it via a VPN, through the new fibre router, and thence out to the sunny UK?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Nov 2022 14:56 #2 by pharcyder
Yes it probably could if you port forwarded all the relevant ports of your protocol of choice through to the Draytek. As long as it's on the same network range as the Livebox, it should work. Bit clumsy though.You'd need to disable all DHCP scopes on the Draytek and possibly more to dumb it all down.

You could achieve the same thing with a PiVPN (cheap Raspberry Pi running easy to use VPN server software).

• mikehughesc
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
30 Nov 2022 15:10 #3 by mikehughesc
Ah yes, thanks - I have a Pi lying around here so will have a play with that first!