DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

NordVPN

• mrglennjones
  • Topic Author
More
13 Mar 2023 10:23 #1 by mrglennjones
NordVPN was created by mrglennjones
Hi all, long time draytek user, first time poster here with a 2862.

over the last 6 months or so we've been having a strange problem when connected to NordVPN via ike2. when previously over many years it worked fine which no issues. I've often had a scan around the web to try and find a solution. obviously no help from nordvpn so a colleague suggested i posted here:

the problem seems strange and the only other identical record i can find so far is the following:-
https://superuser.com/questions/1635717/nordvpn-on-draytek-2862-stops-working-after-some-time-for-no-apparent-reason

the problem seems very intermittent, no timing pattern is obvious. it connects fine... stays connected for long periods of time then all of a sudden the RX Rate drops to 0 and the only way to seemingly resolve it is to drop the VPN connection to NordVPN then redial, this instantly springs the RX rate back to life and everything is fine.

I've checked the log over and over and nothing is obvious which indicates why this is happening.
a suggestion was given to adjust the IKE phase 1 key lifetime and the IKE phase 2 key lifetime but to no avail.

any ideas?

many thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2023 12:27 #2 by pharcyder
Replied by pharcyder on topic Re: NordVPN
I've had that. In my troubleshooting, some UK NordVPN servers have this 'network death', some don't. It's about finding one that doesn't. I notice that Nord's UK servers are provided in different locations with different providers.

This is more of a workaround than a fix but I usually go to the server recommendation page and then increment/decrement the server number until I find one that stays connected.

For me, I have success with server numbers below the 1880 range.

• mrglennjones
  • Topic Author
More
14 Mar 2023 16:13 #3 by mrglennjones
Replied by mrglennjones on topic Re: NordVPN
cheers for the reply,

network death lol, yes it seems this a new phenomenon as it never used to happen here.

• mrglennjones
  • Topic Author
More
14 Mar 2023 17:16 #4 by mrglennjones
do you know of another VPN provider that works with the drayteks? using IKE2?

• nieldm
  • User
  • User
More
15 Mar 2023 06:06 #5 by nieldm
Replied by nieldm on topic Re: NordVPN
I am also interested in learning about anyone's experience with a VPN provider that works with IKEv2 / IKEv2 EAP on a Vigor.

Surfshark looks promising in that they provide the certificate for download and they even responded to an email enquiring about Draytek support. The response raised as many questions as answers .... "Your router is not supported with Surfshark at all. This router has a limit of characters while putting in the manual credentials and Surfshark credentials don't fit in there.".

I am using a 2927...I believe the password has to be less than 15 characters, is this correct?

• mrglennjones
  • Topic Author
More
15 Mar 2023 07:04 #6 by mrglennjones
i think that was fixed in later firmwares, it's ok on mine now, you can check here :-
VPN and Remote Access >> LAN to LAN > Dial-Out Settings