Smart VPN only connects to networks tagged as Private

• monjem
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
19 Sep 2023 11:27 #1 by monjem
Hello Draytek Forum,

I have a long standing issue with the Draytek Smart VPN software, everything works well apart form this one issue, it hasn’t really caused a major issue until last week for my remote users as most use the VPN when working from home and once initially sorted I don’t tend to have any further problems, however last week the Director of the company was working away in London.

The problem I am having is that the Smart VPN Client will not work/connect when the Windows computer is connected to a network which Windows has tagged as Public, as soon as I tell Windows it is a Private network, the VPN connects. Now this is not a major problem for the people working from home as I only have to do this once (unless they change router/provider), the issue is more of a problem when the user is actually connected to a Public network, i.e. coffee shop, fast food joint, train station, library, etc, which was the case last week, and the only way to get the user connected is to change the connection type from Public to Private which seems to sort of defeat the object a little.

The error message reported by the Smart VPN is “Can’t connect to SSL VPN Tunnel server !!!”.

Is this because I am using SSL ? Has anyone else seen this ? And is there a solution (hopefully an easy one) ?

Many Thanks in advance for any help or information.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.