Is WPA possible with WDS?

• chainsawdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
14 May 2009 21:47 #1 by chainsawdude
Is WPA possible with WDS? was created by chainsawdude
Can someone say if it is possible to use WPA security over a WDS bridge? I know WEP is supported but WEP is EASILY crackable.

Also I note many posting with WDS problems. Does anyone have a positive experience or is there some fundamental problem with WDS?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2009 18:06 #2 by louis-m
Replied by louis-m on topic Is WPA possible with WDS?
not sure about the drayteks but my colubris map-330 allows me to select wep, tkip, aes-ccmp and you select the remote wds mac address that can connect.
yes wep can be cracked but you need a fair few packets for that as well as be close enough to the access point. use the strongest key, mac filtering and check logs for authentications etc.
wpa/wpa2 are not supported on wds because they encrypt the mac packets which are fundermental to the proper operation of wds.
so although i can use different encryption eg wep,tkip or aes-ccmp (the encryption method), its not the same as wep, wpa, wpa2 (the protocol)

2820 = 3.3.2_RC5
2950 = 3.2.4

• chainsawdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
17 May 2009 00:14 #3 by chainsawdude
Replied by chainsawdude on topic Is WPA possible with WDS?
The manual says that the security modes for WDS are
1) none
2) WEP
or
3) "Pre-Shared Key"

Is Pre Shared Key anything like WPA?

More
17 May 2009 14:09 #4 by louis-m
Replied by louis-m on topic Is WPA possible with WDS?
no..... its not wpa. it uses a preshared key just like wep uses a hexidecimal key. my guess for the drayteks (i don't use their wifi) is that it's possibly tkip or aes-ccmp which do use preshared keys.
wpa/wpa2 cannot be used on wds because those protocols encrypt the mac headers whereas wep does not.

2820 = 3.3.2_RC5
2950 = 3.2.4