DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Problems with Netgear WGPS606 and DHCP

• gulfie
  • Topic Author
More
15 Jun 2009 22:45 #1 by gulfie
Can anybody help troubleshoot/resolve a network set-up issue I'm having? I recently replaced my Netgear WIFI router with the Vigor 2820Vn, and once I'd upgraded the firmware to the latest production version it is working well and the WIFI has a much better signal than the Netgear DG834 it replaced.

However, there is one fly in the ointment. I have a Netgear WGPS606 that I use to extend the network into my kitchen. When used with the DG834, and a previous Belkin wireless hub, it worked flawlessly. It has a fixed IP address but the Windows XP computer connected to it (using a cable) is set up with DHCP. The WGPS606 also has a printer attached.

However, having joined the WGPS606 to the Vigor WIFI network I have found two distinct but probably related problems:

1. Every few days the WGPS606 simply falls off the network and must be power cycled for the print server to work and for the attached PC to see the rest of the network.

2. I can't use DHCP for the attached computer - although the WGPS606 joins the network on power up, the attached computed does not receive an IP address. This is a problem because the machine moves regularly between three locations, all use DHCP and cabled connections, so I can't use a fixed IP address without constant reconfiguration - and the person who uses this machine is not equipped to do this for themselves. I need DHCP to work across the WGPS606.

To stress the point; the Vigor is using the latest production firmware, the WGPS606 is also using the latest firmware, and it also works perfectly with two other Wireless N routers - I still have the Netgear to test it with, but not the Belkin.

Here is the relevant info from the Vigor status page:
Model Name : Vigor2820 series
Firmware Version : 3.3.1.2_232201
Build Date/Time : May 12 2009 14:42:43
ADSL Firmware Version : 232201_A Annex A

And from the WGPS606 - Firmware Version V1.0_025.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami