2710N Wireless oddity

• xendistar
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Dec 2009 17:49 #1 by xendistar
2710N Wireless oddity was created by xendistar
Four laptops, 1 XP, 1 Win 7, 1 Macbook, 1 Linux, all had working wireless connection before router change.

The new router is a Draytek 2710n, wired connection through the router works perfectly, the Windows 7 laptop connected over wireless straight away, after a few hours of huffing and puffing the XP laptop suddenly found the internet although I am not sure what it was that made it work.

The Mac and the Linux laptop will connect to the wireless, the router show they are connected but they won't pass any traffic over the wireless. If I make changes to the wireless settings on the router, the linux box drops the wireless link and will then re-establish the connection but still no traffic pass over the link to the internet. I have tried all 11 channels but still nothing (on some of the channels the linux laptop won't even see the wireless network, this is the same as it used to do on the old wireless network). I have set the mode to mixed 11b and 11g, still nothing.

The linux laptop is getting its IP address via DHCP from the router (can't confirm with the MACbook as I don't have to hand at the moment). Neither the macbook or the linux laptop can ping the router over wireless let alone anything else.

I have spent several hours last night and today on this, any thoughts??

Tim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Dec 2009 23:40 #2 by dannyboy1121
Replied by dannyboy1121 on topic 2710N Wireless oddity
Hi there. You don't mention encryption. Have you tried different types of encryption to see if you can get proper connectivity?

In my experience, getting a wireless association with the AP but no end to end connectivity is usually an issue with encrytion.

Something you may also want to consider with encryption is how you enter the passphrase. If you're trying a text based passphrase - how about switching the key to hexidecimal equivalent. This has worked for me a number of times.

I hope this helps.

Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.