DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

xbox 360 wireless n adaptor not seeing N network - 2820n.

• jonboy99
  • Topic Author
More
12 Dec 2009 11:51 #1 by jonboy99
Hi folks, just got this router and so far very happy with it. I have no N client devices apart from the new xbox wireless N adaptor which i've only just bought. When router is set to broadcast N only, there is the network recognised, it just won't connect. When the router broadcasts, N and G mixed, the xbox connects to the G signal and works fine.
There aren't any other options I can see in the xbox settings.

Any ideas? Would be nice to have the N network working for HD video streaming etc.

The devices are only the width of a room apart, signal strength full.

Firmware versions:

Model Name : Vigor2820n
Firmware Version : 3.3.2.2_232201
Build Date/Time : Aug 3 2009 11:13:50
ADSL Firmware Version : 232201_A Annex A

Cheers
Jon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Dec 2009 16:57 #2 by iain
Just looked at the specs of the 360 wireless N adapter which only mentions 802.11n in the 5Ghz band. The radios in Drayteks N routers (to my knowledge) only support 2.4Ghz. Not sure if this is the actual cause of the problem but might be starting point to ask more questions.

# Dual band performance

* 5GHz: 1x2 (802.11a & 802.11n)
* 2.4GHz: 2x2
* 2(Tx)x 2(Rx)

• jonboy99
  • Topic Author
More
15 Dec 2009 19:24 #3 by jonboy99
Thanks Iain, looks like you could be right, although I can't find any definite info about the different bands on either the xbox adaptor or the draytek. Would explain the issue though.

• jonboy99
  • Topic Author
More
15 Dec 2009 21:30 #4 by jonboy99
Hmm, this review seems to suggest (a couple of paragraphs below the picture) that it should connect to N networks on 2.4ghz.

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/review/games/microsoft/xbox_360_wireless_n_networking_adapter/329004

More
13 Jan 2010 03:50 #5 by simoncog
The new 360 adapter only supports 5ghz for N - works fine in 2.4 G mode though - including streaming HD from Zune.

The 2820n doesn't actually seem to support Draft N yet anyway, at least not with any of the devices and cards I and others have tried so far on 3.3.3_232201.

...though if anyone has found a reliable card I'd love to know the model and version.

Simon

More
13 Jan 2011 19:45 #6 by jawilliamson
Simon

From elsewhere on the Draytek site, I've read that although the 360 hardware is compatible, it doesn't support WPA2. Could this be your issue?
If so, try changing to WPA to see if that resolves the problem.