DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Bizarre wireless connectivity issues

• davidlec
  • Topic Author
More
11 Jan 2010 21:01 #1 by davidlec
Bizarre wireless connectivity issues was created by davidlec
Having just taken delivery of a Vigor 2820Vn and installed it with the very latest official firmware release (3.3.3), I am experiencing dreadful wireless connectivity issues that are quite bizarre.

I should point out that a machine physically connected to the Vigor 2820 performed flawlessly so basic internet connectivity is good.

I would find that

1) some sites would fail to load at all including Draytek.co.uk. Performing DNS lookups would usually show internet DNS lookup failures/delays.

2) Some sites would load but adverts would be missing (potentially useful feature!) again found to be due to DNS lookup failures/delays

3) Performing a repair operation on the wireless connection would often restore normal operation for the first site or so visited but the connectivity would eventually peter out

4) Despite not being able to browse the internet, I could *always* access the Vigor’s management page!

5) No matter what I try, I cannot access bing.com on these machines, even although a DNS lookup is successful!!!

6) All of the above problems go away if I physically connect the machines instead of using wireless.

I am using two new LM Technologies LM005 RTL8192U based USB wireless dongle, and experience the same trouble on both machines. I have tried official drivers from the manufacturer and MS certified ones

I’m totally at a loss to explain the above symptoms. Even using just 802.11b and g (n disabled) I still have the same problem. Completely resetting back to factory settings and starting from scratch makes no difference. I have even tried manually setting the vigor to force my ISP DNS settings to the stations to no avail.

Has anyone else seen these symptoms? I would have thought it was just wireless connectivity but the vigor admin page always remains accessible no matter how bad internet access is!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• davidlec
  • Topic Author
More
11 Jan 2010 21:23 #2 by davidlec
Replied by davidlec on topic Bizarre wireless connectivity issues
Would you credit it, Bing has just started to work as has the overall internet browsing experience improved greatly!

I still have wireless N turned off which I decided to do today, after days of trouble. Will keep an eye on it and report back!

• davidlec
  • Topic Author
More
11 Jan 2010 22:39 #3 by davidlec
I see a pattern here... if I enable 802.11n at all, even if just having purely 802.11n selected, I get the very problems in my first post. Using mixed B+G, I get no problems...yet.

After disabling "n", I have to repair the wireless adapter in XP before normality returns. Very odd!

Have others seen this behaviour too?

More
12 Jan 2010 09:16 #4 by thrain
Replied by thrain on topic Bizarre wireless connectivity issues
I don't have any issues using 802.11b/g/n in mixed mode.

Have you tried a different wireless card type, its happening to both computers using the same card ?

• davidlec
  • Topic Author
More
12 Jan 2010 11:05 #5 by davidlec
I haven't tried another wireless dongle make. Having just bought two of the same type, I'm a little worried that they are inherently incompatible.

I may buy a Draytek dongle to see how well that works!