DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 Really Slow Wifi

• simonwait
  • Topic Author
More
04 Feb 2010 11:55 #1 by simonwait
2820 Really Slow Wifi was created by simonwait
I have been looking into why our internet seems so slow. I ran a test at speedtest.net and only had 0.5 mbps. A test on pingtest.net also shows a poor connection. The thing is if I use the PC which is connected through the LAN I get 15mbps or higher!

I have 2 laptops which are both showing poor results. They have Intel 2200BG cards. They are only about 8 metres away from the router and have strong signal. We dont have DECT phones, there are 3 Wifi networks including ours. We are on Chan 3 with the other 2 on Chan 6 and 11.

I am using WPA-PSK with access control turned on.

I also tried connecting using my Iphone and running the speedtest app, 0.01mbps up and down!

I am now at a loss really. Surely it should be that bad?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2010 17:28 #2 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic 2820 Really Slow Wifi
Try using WPA2, a couple of other people on the forum have said that WPA limits the speed to ~500kbps.
The trouble with regular WPA is that it limits the 11n connection to 54mbps because it isn't considered secure enough by the standard, maybe if you set the wireless type to 11b+11g, it might work better.

I usually get around 56mbps when using 11n wireless. (albeit at a short distance from the router)

• simonwait
  • Topic Author
More
06 Feb 2010 23:46 #3 by simonwait
Replied by simonwait on topic 2820 Really Slow Wifi
I tried changing to just WPA2. This also accidentally kicked off our printer which I dont think supports WPA2 even though it says it does. So with the 1 wired PC and the 2 laptops on Wifi there is still no increase from speedtest.net (infact it was a little lower).

More
09 Feb 2010 15:07 #4 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic 2820 Really Slow Wifi
That's really odd, have you also tried setting the wireless to 11b+11g mode to see if that helps?

• simonwait
  • Topic Author
More
10 Feb 2010 07:39 #5 by simonwait
Replied by simonwait on topic 2820 Really Slow Wifi
An odd thing has happened, in between each step I have been making sure I set someting I have tried back to the old setting and then run speedtest.net again to see what I am achieving before trying something else. This morning with everything set back to the settings I had at the begining I managed to get 5.04 mbps which is quite a leap. It still is nowhere near the 13 mbps that the fixed PC got at around the same time. changing to just 11b and 11g seemed to have no further effect.

Thanks for all your help so far

More
20 Feb 2010 12:24 #6 by osbourn
Replied by osbourn on topic 2820 Really Slow Wifi
I can tell you for a fact this router is awesome on wireless, its the wireless lan thats crap. I have just ordered the larger 5db antennas and the N61 802.11 n usb dongle, because I am using a laptop with a broadcom wireless nic.

Moderators: Sami