DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

AP700 Main SSID same as Root AP SSID - repeater mode

• oxygendebt
  • Topic Author
More
15 Apr 2010 17:09 #1 by oxygendebt
I've happily extended the wireless range of my 2820n using a new AP 700 in repeater mode.

In the AP700 basic setup page, I have assigned the extended network a different SSID. Can I just use the same SSID name here as the Root AP SSID I have connected to?

thanks all

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2010 18:21 #2 by martinpluss
Replied by martinpluss on topic Just Hide it
Hi, we set the ssid's of our ap700 to rptn where n is an incremental number, then hide this ssid by telling the ap700 not to broadcast it. Users login to the soure AP's ssid that is being repeated through the ap700.

More
27 May 2010 12:39 #3 by davidtindall
Replied by davidtindall on topic AP700 Main SSID same as Root AP SSID - repeater mode
Hello,

i've managed to do as oxygen debt did here but can't do what Martinplus has said.

If i have my ssid hidden of the AP700 and its also given a different name, then even though its in repeater mode, my laptop only connects to the 2820n on its SSID and not via the repeater.

Can someone help me please?

Thanks

David

More
30 Jun 2010 14:55 #4 by boxrick
I am also looking to do the above, simply have 1 universal SSID which connects to either my 2820 or ap700 depending on which is closer.

Any input?

• oxygendebt
  • Topic Author
More
30 Jun 2010 21:53 #5 by oxygendebt
Wireless repeater mode with a single SSID will work fine but you won't be able to preserve MAC addresses.

I am therefore now using the Ap-700 and 2820n with WDS-Bridge mode. There's a dedicated page to setting this up on the Draytek technical FAQ.

More
02 Aug 2010 20:40 #6 by jmn
I am trying to extend the wireless range using a 2820Vn as the main (connected to the internet) and a 2800Vg as the remote using WDS-bridge.
A laptop with wired connection to the remote 2800VG works perfectly which demonstrates that the bridge connection is functioning OK. But will not connect to the internet via WLAN using the remote. The "Access point" button on the remote is Enabled. The SSIDs are different.

Has anyone tried this successfully with a 2800Vg?

John

JMN

Moderators: Sami