Vigor AP700 - Wireless-N not being picked up by laptops

• packeteer
  • Topic Author
More
02 Jun 2010 23:34 #1 by packeteer
Greetings,

I have an AP700 as per the subject which is configured as follows:

Code:
Mode: AP Band: 2.4Ghz (B+G+N) Security: WPA Shared Key Firmware: 1.1 Hardware: RevA

Anyhow I have a MacBook Pro and a Dell Latitude 2100 both with Wireless-N capable WiFi cards, however they only ever connect at Wireless-G.

I also have a pair of Buffalo WLI-TX4-AG300N bridges and these ARE connecting at Wireless-N speed.

I've looked to see if there is a newer firmware than what's on my unit but it appears that I'm running the latest.

I wasn't too worried about the Dell not connecting as I read there were some issues with the Intel 5300 cards, but now with the MacBook Pro (current model with Airport Extreme Broadcom Chipset BCM43xx) I'd like to find a solution.

Any pointers?

Cheers,
Packeteer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jun 2010 01:47 #2 by voodle
Are you using WPA or WPA2?

If you're using WPA specifically, that'll throttle the speed down to 54mbps per the 802.11n spec, it'll also happen if you use WEP.

The way to get full 802.11n speed is either using no security or WPA2

• packeteer
  • Topic Author
More
03 Jun 2010 06:44 #3 by packeteer
Thanks Voodle.

I'll give it a go - I'll need to make sure all my other wireless kit can support WPA2. You are right though, I am only using WPA at the minute. I'll report back once I make the cut-over.

Cheers,
Packeteer.

• packeteer
  • Topic Author
More
03 Jun 2010 13:29 #4 by packeteer
Once again - thanks Voodle.

Your advice did the trick and the MacBook is now connecting at 802.11n.

It's odd that the buffalo's were able to connect at 802.11n speeds. This was the red herring that made me think it was not a configuration issue. I stand corrected.

Anyhow keep up the good work. It seems you're pretty active on the forum. Thanks for taking the time.

Cheers,
Packeteer.

Moderators: Sami