DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820n in wireless N Mode only anybody got it working?

• howard simpson
  • Topic Author
More
25 Jun 2010 09:45 #1 by howard simpson
I recently replaced my laptop with a nice shiny new vaio with wirelss n. So no longer require the wireless network to support g so set the wireless setting in the 2820n to n only. Only problem is I cant get it to work with the vaio nor for that matter with my sons pc with a N61 draytek wifi dongle :x . The wireless seems to connect but just endlessly says identifying in the win 7 networking screen. Looking at the diagnostics for a wired PC shows that the 2820n has not dished out an IP adress to the PC. The connection speed on the wireless status on the PC shows only 54MBs despite being only 3 ft away from the router. Checked that n mode was enabled on the laptop and it is. Turn the mode on the 2820 back to n&g and it connects instantly but only at 54MBs

Any one seen this problem?

Howard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2010 16:45 #2 by voodle
http://draytek.com/user/SupportFAQDetail.php?ID=1958
I'm thinking that there should really be some warning about this in the web interface...

• howard simpson
  • Topic Author
More
28 Jun 2010 09:11 #3 by howard simpson
Replied by howard simpson on topic 2820n in wireless N Mode only anybody got it working?
Yes Voodle you are correct, I realised what I had done wrong over the weekend :oops: and corrected the secrity to WPA2. Wireless n now ok :lol: However. Then realised that broke the WDS to my 2600Gs that I am using as access points :cry:
Not sure that its the n only mode (the 2600s are g only) or it's the WPA2 as I havn't had a chance to test it yet. I now seem to remember trying WPA2 initially when I set it up, which did not work hence WEP. Any one got WDS working with WPA2 and 2600's? Wondering if an AP700 is the answer.

Howard

More
28 Jun 2010 09:33 #4 by voodle
I think it would be "802.11n only" setting stopping them from connecting, although the WPA2 support on the 2600s isn't great, it would still be able to connect in WDS I think.

More
28 Jun 2010 19:20 #5 by asimm.it
You cant use WPA encryption with WDS because of dynamic key exchanges, it has to be WEP thats why your access point link broke.

Encryption can be used with 802.11 Wireless Distribution System (WDS) links between bridges or repeaters, but only with static keys configured into the APs at both ends of the WDS link.

In practical terms, this means that WDS can only be used with Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP), because WEP allows direct configuration of static keys. Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) did away with static encryption keys, using a 4-way key handshake to derive dynamic encryption keys based either on a Preshared Secret Key (WPA-PSK) or a master key delivered via 802.1X.

• howard simpson
  • Topic Author
More
29 Jun 2010 09:22 #6 by howard simpson
Replied by howard simpson on topic 2820n in wireless N Mode only anybody got it working?
asimm.it
If that is the case then why does the config page for WDS give you the option of WPA and WPA2 with PSK security! Its a bit confusing providing the option if there is no chance of it working!

Howard

Moderators: Sami