DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

AP connected to 2710n as client - intermittent internet

• opulent
  • Topic Author
More
08 Aug 2010 23:02 #1 by opulent
My first post here, so firsly, 'Hello' to everyone.

As per the title of my post, I've got an Access Point (Netgear WN604) connected to my 2710n as a client. I can see the AP show up on the 2710's various menus (ARP cache, wireless station list, DHCP table, etc) and all say it's connected.

The problem I have is any device connected to the AP has problems getting an internet connection. All devices connected to the 2710 (wired and wireless) never have any problems getting an internet connection. I have fiddled with various menu settings on both the 2710 and the AP, but nothing changes.

The strange thing is, sometimes everything works perfectly. Yesterday, eventually after sitting staring at the screen totally perplexed, I noticed my devices connected to the AP suddenly established internet connections. I had my Blu Ray player and TV hooked up and watched something on the BBC iPlayer in HD - success!

Today, however, none of the devices connected via the AP get an internet connection :-(

Again, really bizarrely, all the devices connected via the AP show up in the 2710's menus, so I can see that they are connected, they just don't always get an internet connection.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks very much in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• opulent
  • Topic Author
More
20 Aug 2010 12:12 #2 by opulent
Replied by opulent on topic Partial Solution Found
Hi all. Just a quick update to anyone else who might have a similar issue, I found a partial solution to this that seems to fulfil my requirements.

I connected the Netgear AP in client mode at 'b/g' speeds and this seems to be totally stable. Not the ultimate end result I was after, as I wanted to connect the Netgear AP at 'n' speeds, but at least the connection works all the time...

I still have no idea why the internet connection is intermittent when I connect the Netgear AP in client mode at 'n' speeds, and the fact that it does work (albeit randomly), doesn't explain why it works all the time, every time, when I connect at the slower 'b/g' speed.

I've been able to watch HD streamed content with the connection at 'b/g' speeds, and there has been no problem with a lack of bandwidth. It never needs to pause to load, so all seems to be good enough. Both the Draytek 2710n and Netgear WN604 have the very latest firmware, so I don't know why it won't work in 'n' mode as well as it does in 'b/g' mode. Maybe a future firmware from either manufacturer will sort this out??

More
23 Aug 2010 09:56 #3 by voodle
What wireless security is the 2710's wireless using? It could be that using WEP or WPA is causing problems, since you need to use WPA2 with 802.11n for it to work correctly.

• opulent
  • Topic Author
More
29 Aug 2010 12:24 #4 by opulent
Hi Voodle. The 2710 is set with WPA2-PSK for security.

My netbook has an 'N' wifi chip and connects to the 2710 at 150mbps (it won't do the full 300 due to something to do with 20/40hmz channel, or so I've read), and this connection is totally stable.

The Netgear router is set to connect to the 2710 using WPA2 security, but it's just seems to only be stable in 'b/g' mode.

Strange, but as mentioned previously, it seems to be able to cope with streaming HD content via the web without problems, and when I turn the TV or BluRay player on, it only takes 20 seconds or so to establish an IP through the 2710's DHCP and away I go. :)

More
30 Aug 2010 12:29 #5 by howard simpson
Replied by howard simpson on topic AP connected to 2710n as client - intermittent internet
You stated "it only takes 20 seconds or so to establish an IP through the 2710's DHCP" have you got two DHCP servers on your network? Did you remember to turn off DHCP in the netgear? just a thought!

Howard

Moderators: Sami