DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2710n and Aerials - How to ensure maximum performance

• jem netley
  • Topic Author
More
08 Sep 2010 17:09 #1 by jem netley
I can find no info anywhere on how to ensure the aerials are positioned/angled correcly to ensure maximum performance. I believe one on the left is send, right is receive and the one in the middle??

The reason for asking is that the router itself is on the 3rd floor of a victorian house plugged into a PC and there is a wireless Laptop and a wireless PC on the floor below so I need to ensure everything is positioned OK

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Sep 2010 20:35 #2 by livingj2

Jem Netley wrote: I can find no info anywhere on how to ensure the aerials are positioned/angled correcly to ensure maximum performance. I believe one on the left is send, right is receive and the one in the middle??

The reason for asking is that the router itself is on the 3rd floor of a victorian house plugged into a PC and there is a wireless Laptop and a wireless PC on the floor below so I need to ensure everything is positioned OK

Thanks

As I remember, left and right are transmit/receive, and the centre is receive only. The assignment of which does which can be changed via the "WL" command set on the telnet interface, but I wouldn't recommend this - it doesn't improve anything (I tried !). There's no hard and fast rule for antenna orientation, since an indoor signal is likely to take multiple unpredictable paths. Just point the antennas in different directions, rather than neatly lining them all up.

The most important thing by far is to minimise the amount of signal absorbing material between the router and the PCs. In other words - the least number of walls and floors. Keep the antennas in the clear - away from trailing cables and other metalwork.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.