Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

AP700 - Universal Repeater or WDS Mode?

• legal
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
15 Sep 2010 09:00 #1 by legal
Instructions rather confusing - can get this working (after discovering that you have to increment the MAC code by 1 when inputting AP's details in 2820n!), BUT can anyone explain the difference between Universal Repeater mode & WDS Bridge Mode?
I simply want to be able to allow users in the extremity of the site to log on but without degrading the service of the main 2820n router, but both modes seem to do the same except that Repeater uses a different SSID from the 2820 while the WDS uses the same SSID - what are the implications of this? (eg does one allow transparent/seemless connection & the other needs to directly choose the AP?/speed of connection?
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2010 23:17 #2 by sportbilly
Replied by sportbilly on topic AP700 - Universal Repeater or WDS Mode?
You can setup the universal repeater as the same SSID and key - I have done this in a large house.

1x Draytek 2820N
5x AP700's set as universal repeaters.

More
30 Sep 2010 08:13 #3 by howard simpson
Replied by howard simpson on topic AP700 - Universal Repeater or WDS Mode?
got mine set as AP Bridge WDS using the latest firmware but agree the instructions don't make it clear what the difference is!

Howard

More
30 Sep 2010 09:19 #4 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic AP700 - Universal Repeater or WDS Mode?
The main difference between the two is that universal repeater is just a wireless client connecting to an SSID and passing it on - so if all the units have the same SSID, you'll probably get conflicts as two repeaters may connect to each other instead of the router.

With WDS bridge, you can control which unit connects to which using the MAC addresses - another advantage is that because it's a proper bridge, it passes the MAC addresses of clients through, so you can use Bind IP to MAC with that setup but not universal repeater.