DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

AP700 problems connecting to Cisco Router, going crazy!!!

• melmac
  • Topic Author
More
21 Sep 2010 11:42 #1 by melmac
Hi All,

I am going crazy trying to figure this out, hopefully somebody here can help me, or at least point me in the right direction :D

I have three buildings, one is the main building where the router is and the I have one AP700 placed there connected by cable to the lan. I have two buildings that need to have internet access and I have one AP placed in each building. There is no wired lan in either of the two outbuildings.

I have configured each AP700 as AP-WDS bridge, and they all have the same SSID and the same channel. The mac addresses of each AP are entered correctly. For troubleshooting purposes I have disabled all security.

Each AP has their IP address configured manually like this -
IP address -192.168.1.4
Subnet Mask -255.255.255.0
Default gateway 192.168.1.1

Of course with different IP's for each AP. The default gateway is the cisco router.

Now I think this is all setup correctly. MY problem is that whenever I try to connect to the wireless network the cisco router stops responding. And it has to be restarted. The laptop goes as far as getting connected, then the cisco box goes down. When I just use the one AP that is connected to the wired lan, the wireless works fine. And I can use any of the AP's in that position and it will work fine. But as soon as I turn on the second AP and try to connect wirelessly the cisco box goes down.

Should I leave the default gateway as 0.0.0.0 in each AP? Or should I configure the AP that's connected to the LAN as a DHCP server?

Is this a problem with the cisco box? or my config? or what??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2010 13:27 #2 by howard simpson
I think the problem is you have them all configured as bridges. Depending on the geography of your site at least one of the APs will nedd to be a repeater, In bridge mode it will not retransmit to another AP. so if you have a daisy chain with the Cisco at on end the central one needs to be a repeater. If the one at the Cisco is the hub of a star then that one must be a repeater.

Howard

• melmac
  • Topic Author
More
21 Sep 2010 15:06 #3 by melmac
Thanks for the reply.

The cisco box is not wireless, it's just a router with DHCP enabled and is the gateway to the internet.

I understand what you are saying, but, I am not sure that's the problem. In the manual it says you can connect 4 AP's in Bridge mode. So I presume these will all talk to each other as long as you have the mac addresses setup right. Another thing I should have mentioned, is this all worked perfectly last week when I had an SMC access point setup in the main building in WDS-bridge mode. I thought all I had to do was replace the smc box with an AP-700 configured the same way. But, as soon as I put in the AP-700 things went pear shaped!!

Ok lets explain it a little better!! :)

One AP-700 is in the main building connected to the wired network. THe cisco box is located here.

There is one AP in each of the other 2 buildings. All three are configured as AP-Bridge mode.

If I just have the AP-700 in the main building turned on wireless clients can access the internet fine and everything works. If I turn on either of the other 2 AP's the wireless clients can connect, but, as soon as they do the cisco box goes down.

I have also swapped around the AP's to test if one might be faulty, but, they all work.