DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Extending wireless across multiple floors without WDS

• adriandonlan
  • Topic Author
More
13 Jan 2011 18:43 #1 by adriandonlan
Hi
I have a 2920n acting as my main router with adsl connected though it. I have a number of floors in my building and would like to distribute the wireless through to the other floors. I have physically cabled from the Vigor to the other floors and added a PoE switch on each additional floor and then planned to use another wireless router to create a Wifi connection using the same SSID as the primary Vigor. This seems to work for a single device but not for multiple devices. Does anyone have any pointers on how to create a mesh - the floors are far enough apart that the wireless does not work through them and I need multiple Wifi repeaters on each floor to cope with the distance (and obstructions). Now I know that I could use Cisco to do this but would rather not pay their price premium as I only plan to use this for Guest access. The additional Wifi repeaters are Linksys as I had three spare, all are capable of working as a a repeater or WDS. But I believe that WDS will not really work as they cannot wirelessly access the main vigor, but they can be physically wired into it. I would ideally like the same SSID and WPA2 password in all cases to simplify management.

All thoughts and comments welcomed.

Thanks
Adrian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2011 22:38 #2 by drewy
if use use the same ssid and password it should work fine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.