Guest WIFI

• cfaulkner
  • Topic Author
More
18 Jan 2011 09:29 #1 by cfaulkner
Guest WIFI was created by cfaulkner
Dear All,

I have the Draytek 2820.

I want to create a seperate SSID for internet access for temporary staff that is seperate or isolated from our LAN on SSID1.

It looks like i can make a secondary SSID and limit the bandwidth and change the security etc but how can i isolate from our current IP range for our LAN 192.168.1.0/24?

Is this possible without having to add a secondary router ?

Many thanks for taking the time to read. All suggestions, idea and other welcome!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jan 2011 12:04 #2 by d malone
Replied by d malone on topic Guest WIFI
I can't say that I've proved it does what you require, but I believe that the VLAN facility [see LAN >> VLAN Configuration] allows users to allow/bar traffic between ports / SSIDS.

Regards

---
D Malone

More
18 Jan 2011 17:10 #3 by cabot
Replied by cabot on topic Guest WIFI
Good shout

also see this post as it helped me

http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=14089

• cfaulkner
  • Topic Author
More
18 Jan 2011 17:26 #4 by cfaulkner
Replied by cfaulkner on topic DHCP
Hi,

I can isolate one SSID from the other but i cannot assign DHCP to the second SSID via VLAN.

Therefore although i can keep them seperate i am unable to give them IP Addresses.

Is there a way around this via the DHCP settings on the draytek 2820, i've had a play but even with the mac address of the client pc and the 2nd subnet details entered on the config page, the client still fails to get the IP address. I can't point it at the current DHCP on the lan as that then puts it back alongside the people i'm trying to keep it away from!

Thanks for taking the time to read.

More
23 Feb 2011 19:10 #5 by stirton
Replied by stirton on topic Guest WIFI
I'm guessing from your 2nd post that you are not using the inbuilt DHCP server then?

Is it a must to have the guests on a separate subnet OR can you not simply allocate on the same subnet BUT use the 'Isolate Member' option on your guest SSID, which will prevent any device connected via that SSID from talking to any other on your network i.e. simply give them Internet access?

Maybe you've other requirements?

• cfaulkner
  • Topic Author
More
07 Apr 2011 11:48 #6 by cfaulkner
Replied by cfaulkner on topic Re: Guest WIFI
Hi

If i isolate from the LAN i cannot point the users to our internal DHCP server so therefore cannot push DNS/WINS etc.

As it's just for internet browsing that's not an issue as long as i can push DNS addresses.

From the DHCP page on the 2820n can anyone give me instructions as to how this can be accomplished ?

Many thanks and thank you for taking the time to read this post.