DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

No in-office WLAN connection to Exchange Server

• gee_dee_ell
  • Topic Author
More
08 Feb 2011 15:54 #1 by gee_dee_ell
I have installed "Mail for Exchange" on my Nokia X6 mobile 'phone and am able to connect to our exchange server via wifi from home, or in fact most other wifi access points, but not from within my office.

My office setup is a conventional LAN and comprises Draytek Vigor 2710n wifi router/modem feeding into a 16 port fast switch then distributed to networked pc's including the server running SBS2008/Exch Serv 2007.

I am able to connect, without any trouble, to the internet at large through the WLAN, but just cannot synch to the exchange server.

Any help to get in-office connectivity would be most welcome.

Thanks

GDL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• asimm.it
  • User
  • User
More
23 Feb 2011 00:55 #2 by asimm.it
do you have your internal DNS configured properly?

if it works outside the office over the internet then it is able to resolve the hostname of your exchange server.

Most internal domains have a different fqdn to that of their external domain name which could explain why your experiencing this issue.

Try setting a forward look up zone on your internal DNS server that points your public exchange server address to the local IP address of the exchange server.

If your using NAT for your LAN then it will struggle to translate back into the network from the internet, i.e local ip > NAT > internet > public IP address of router > NAT (open port or port forward) >exchange server.

Hope this helps!

• gee_dee_ell
  • Topic Author
More
28 Feb 2011 09:44 #3 by gee_dee_ell
Replied by gee_dee_ell on topic Re: No in-office WLAN connection to Exchange Server
Thanks for you reply and useful suggestions Lee.

We are using NAT so, if I understand this correctly, it is something akin to trying to call your home telephone number from home, and that is probably the cause.

GDL

• asimm.it
  • User
  • User
More
01 Mar 2011 23:21 #4 by asimm.it
Precisely that GDL, NAT gets really confused in this situation.

Always best to accomodate a seperate zone on an internal DNS server for local ip address resolution on services accessed via a fully qualified domain name which points traffic to a local resource!!

This will bypass the NAT issue.

Glad I could point you in the right direction!