DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

PC wired to wifi access point, can't talk to Draytek router

• liquideyes
  • Topic Author
More
15 Feb 2011 02:10 #1 by liquideyes
I recently swapped my trusty Netgear DG834G router for a DrayTek Vigor 2710n.

The router has a number of clients, both wired and wireless. I've got wifi up and running successfully, and all the 'direct' clients (those connected via ethernet or wifi) can get on the internet. Great.

I also have an Edimax EW-7209APg access point (AP), which is configured as a Universal Repeater. It successfully connects to the Vigor, and the AP's clients (i.e. PCs connected to the AP via ethernet) can ping PCs on the opposite side of the router.

So the AP is successfully 'bridging' the downstairs and upstairs networks.

Here's a (partial) diagram of my home network:

Code:
PC1 ----- Vigor - - - - - AP ----- PC2 |_____________| |__________| downstairs upstairs Key: ----- ethernet cable - - - wifi connection Vigor DrayTek Vigor router AP Edimax access point

PC1 (downstairs) and PC2 (upstairs) can see each other just fine.

DHCP is also working just fine. I have the Vigor configured as the DHCP server, with a table of MAC/IP bindings. The Vigor allocates the correct IP addresses to PC1 and PC2, as well as to wifi clients.

So here comes the problem... PC2 can't get on the internet!
In fact PC2 can't even ping the Vigor router, or access its admin page. :(

Yet every other aspect of the network is working just fine. Everybody can see everybody else. Every computer on the network can see every other computer, and everyone can see the AP. (And PC2 is getting the right IP address from the Vigor too, via DHCP.)

It's just the AP's client that can't talk to the router, nor can it get on the web. I've tried giving PC2 a static IP address instead of getting it from the router, but this makes no difference.

I never had this problem with my old Netgear router. I've also tried my old BT HomeHub, which also works fine. It's only when I use the Vigor router that PC2 can't see the router via the AP.

I've tried updating to the latest version of my AP's firmware, but this made no difference.

All PCs running Windows 7, incidentally.

Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Feb 2011 12:03 #2 by njh
Are the LAN IP's of the Draytek and AP different?

2900Gi/v2.5.6; 2900/v2.5.6

• liquideyes
  • Topic Author
More
15 Feb 2011 13:04 #3 by liquideyes
Thanks for the reply. Yes - they are two different addresses on the same subnet.

Pretty sure the IP addresses are fine, as everyone can ping PC2, and everyone except PC2 can ping the router.

My network is set up pretty much identically to before - I've simply swapped my Netgear router for the Vigor.

• liquideyes
  • Topic Author
More
15 Feb 2011 13:07 #4 by liquideyes
P.S. If I wire PC2 directly to the router via ethernet, it works fine - so it doesn't seem to be a problem with PC2 itself.

More
22 Mar 2011 10:13 #5 by angel12
can you ping from vigor the ap or from the ap -->vigor ?
can you give static route, Default Gateway ap-->vigor ?
can vigor ping the pc2 ?

• roberd21
  • User
  • User
More
29 Aug 2015 20:20 #6 by roberd21
Hello,

Very similar problem here. I am using a TP-Link wireless router to bridge (using the WDS functionality offered by the TP-Link) to my Draytek 2820n, which is acting as my router. The TP-Link is setup to operate as a switch and wireless access point.

Everything is reported as working fine. Indeed, any clients connected wirelessly to the TP-Link operate happily, but any clients wired to the TP-Link cannot see beyond it.

Any ideas anyone?