DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2710Vn - Wifi - Large File Downloads Stall

• chipmonk
  • Topic Author
More
20 Feb 2011 12:10 #1 by chipmonk
I recently installed a new 2710Vn with FW 3.3.6 in my daughter's flat to replace a dead USR router. We're very pleased with its features and performance except that, using WiFi, large file downloads and bandwidth speed tests grind to a complete halt after 2-3 MB. Connection via Ethernet works a treat (ISP Tiscali UK) but Wifi hopeless for anything but browsing and routine email, despite excellent signal strength.

I've tweaked everything I can think of in WiFi setup, QoS, Firewall setting etc and nothing improves things. Wifi settings and security (WPA2) exactly as on previous router which never had any problems. I'm really exasperated by this - never come across this situation before and beginning to suspect there may be a fault with the 2710.

Anyone any ideas or of experience of this problem? It's a really shame because in every other way it's a great piece of kit.

TIA

ChipMonk

ChipMonk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2011 12:55 #2 by voodle
Don't use 3.3.6 it's broken, if you go back to 3.3.5.1, your internets will work again :)

• chipmonk
  • Topic Author
More
20 Feb 2011 14:00 #3 by chipmonk
Many thanks Voodle - you're absolutely right. Just put it back to 3.3.5.1 (oh the joys of remote management) and immediately daughter reports bandwidth speed test actually complete for the first time via WiFi. You've saved me a great deal of (continued) frustration and grief.

Sadly I fear that Draytek's quality standards have been slipping of late. I have a 2130Vn here at home - the downloads speeds on Virgin 50mbps are great but the FW is riddled with lots of little bugs and things that just don't work they way they should - and it drops out much more than my trusty 2910Vg ever did. The 2190 was the best router I ever had but sadly couldn't cope with speeds above ca. 28mbps.

Once again many thanks for your speedy intervention

Regards

Chip

ChipMonk

More
20 Feb 2011 18:24 #4 by voodle
Glad that sorted it :) I agree kind of but the 2130 is very different from everything else, from what I've read online it'll eventually be the base for future routers - it does do some cool stuff right now like the NAS & bittorrent stuff, not particularly useful for business routers but interesting to me :P

• know-dice
  • User
  • User
More
21 Feb 2011 11:09 #5 by know-dice
Replied by know-dice on topic Vigor 2710Vn - Wifi - Large File Downloads Stall
Interesting comments about the 2130n I'm using firmware 1.5.0.1 from the .com website.

Uk site is still on 1.4.1 !!! which doesn't support the 2nd Public sub-net

WiFi certainly doesn't seem to be very good on this unit - signal level seems low even when close to it. Also has this strange tendency to disable WiFi if you make any changes to the settings.

Has anybody tried the version on the Polish site - 1.5.1 beta - ftp://ftp.draytek.pl/Seria_2130/Firmware/1.5.1_BETA/ ?

• chipmonk
  • Topic Author
More
21 Feb 2011 12:50 #6 by chipmonk
Hi Know-dice - I too am using FW v1.5.0.1 on my 2130Vn - no WiFi problems although it's many Ethernet which I use. But I do stream media via Squeezebox where controller and receivers use exclusively WiFi and there's never been a problem - signal strength is as good as it's ever been. However, as with all WiFi, I'm amazed how signal strength can change by relocating the router, sometimes just a few centimetres.

Bugs include: router time defaults to 1970 on re-boot and doesn't update until you go to router web-page for System Maintenance/time-date and click OK. I can't get SNMP Syslog to give me sensible Router Bandwidth usage - I used Wallwatcher for years with my 2190 but no dice (so to speak) with the 2130. There are lots more but I no longer fret about them and hope that, in the coming months, Draytek get their act together and get this router to really fly!

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the beta FW if you give it a try. After my last few days of frustration with the kid's 2170, I'm steering clear of bleeding edge FW for a while!

Chip

ChipMonk