Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 wireless very poor

• garyi
  • Topic Author
More
09 Mar 2011 19:19 #1 by garyi
2820 wireless very poor was created by garyi
Hello all.

I have tweaked until blue in the fingers but after a year I am getting to the end of it all.

Wireless on my 2820 is rubbish.

I have only one device connected to it, a macbook, so its set to only be N, I have checked local networks for conflicts on the band, I have messed with greenfield and all the rest of it.

I have changed the ACK on the macbook to 0, I see five bars of signal strength all the time, throughout the house.

Its all still pretty bad.

I like the reliability of draytek, but must conclude now that its not really offering me anything, especially since I installed a gigabit switch. Really I want a reliable fast wireless connection, and this particular model is simply not providing.

So is there another draytek model that does, before I move away from the brand entirely?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2011 12:25 #2 by howard simpson
Replied by howard simpson on topic Re: 2820 wireless very poor
Which version of the software are you using? Also it may be nothing to do with the 2820 it could be interference from a blutoothe device, Dect phones, baby alarm etc. All will adversly affect your wireless capability.

Howard

• garyi
  • Topic Author
More
10 Mar 2011 20:34 #3 by garyi
Replied by garyi on topic Re: 2820 wireless very poor
Well interference is a possibility, a little utility on my mac tells me I get 65% signal strength, which when 2 meters from the draytek seems a little low, but so hard to diagnose these thing eh?

I am on the latest firmware from draytek, according to the downloads page.

More
11 Mar 2011 12:00 #4 by howard simpson
Have you tried moving the router jsut a few inches can make a huge difference due to multi path reflections from metal filing cabinets etc.

Howard

More
31 Mar 2011 16:16 #5 by robbiebox
Replied by robbiebox on topic Re: 2820 wireless very poor
Hi Gary

I had problems with my 2820vn wireless, and tried loads, but what it came down to is being on the right channel. I changed to channel 1 and even on Mixed (N & G) I am getting 19mbs on my Iphone 4 Speed test, which would indicate max wifi speed. I guess it depends what your neighbours are using :). (I am with Virgin 50mb BB BTW)

More
01 Apr 2011 10:08 #6 by howard simpson
Try using the AP discovery function on the router. Also try using a utility like netsumbler (there are various versions depending upon your operating system) on your laptop as the room you want to use it in may be getting the interference from a neighbour but its not picked up by the router in another part of the house.

Howard