Vigor 2820 with a wireless link (bridge) to Netgear WPN802

• shabbaranks
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
25 Mar 2011 10:00 #1 by shabbaranks
Hi All,

Im trying to setup a wireless bridge between a 2820 and a netgear WPN802. The 2820 see's the WPN within a AP List "Scan" and I add the WPN802 to the bridge list. The WDS mode is set to bridge and the MAC address is listed. The security is set to pre shared key WPA2 - everything appears to be setup fine. When a client connects it cant ping or see the 2820 via the wireless bridge :(

Any ideas?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2011 13:14 #2 by howard simpson
I found that when using a 2820 in WDS mode you had to power off and power up both ends to get it to work after doing the config.

Howard

• shabbaranks
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
28 Mar 2011 15:59 #3 by shabbaranks
Thanks Howard will give it a go... Was this when trying to pair another Draytek AP or a different model?

More
29 Mar 2011 09:13 #4 by howard simpson
I have had WDS working from a 2820N to a 2600G (just in use as an AP) and also a AP700 which replaced the 2600G to get wireless n. Must admit I eventually bit the bullet and put in a cable between the 2820n and the AP700 as my walls were to thick to get good performance using WDS. 200year old house with stone walls 2-3ft thick!.

Howard

• shabbaranks
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
29 Mar 2011 09:54 #5 by shabbaranks
Am I missing a trick as its not working... Heres my setup:

Vigor2820 WDS plugged into LAN DHCP relay enabled - NetgearWPN802 (static IP) with PC plugged into it.

As the Netgear is a G and the 2820 is on N I enabled a second SSID to attempt to pair the Netgear with the Vigor2820 both on WEP (as I read this had to be WEP???). As the netgear doesnt have DHCP relay I guess I have to static the client connected to the Netgear which I have - still no joy. I also rebooted both in an attempt to sort this but again it doesnt work.

Any ideas what I am missing?? Thanks

More
30 Mar 2011 10:56 #6 by howard simpson
Firstly I think that the 2820 should be set up as the DHCP server unless you have an other on the network in which case you will needthe relay function.

Secondly you cannot WDS to a G AP with the 2820 set up with n mode, I tried it and it would not work. It will work if you restrict the 2820 to the other modes.

Howard