DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2110n - Wireless Dropout

• armitageshanks
  • Topic Author
More
03 Apr 2011 23:46 #7 by armitageshanks
Replied by armitageshanks on topic Re: Shoddy equipment
The desktop is often the only device using the wifi (with the caveat that the webcam is permanently turned on and the mobile phones connect automatically when we're at home).

I have tried turning off the mobiles, leaving just the webcam and the desktop (which has a Draytek 802.11n USB dongle plugged into the back of it) connected and the frequency of the problem possibly reduces a little but it's hard to be sure. Bear in mind that this is an intermittent problem, though, so there is a wide degree of variation in how often the problem happens anyway.

We've had the webcam for almost 4 years now and there was never a problem when using it with the router we had before buying the 2110n.

Please also bear in mind that the problem is intermittent enough that any testing involving disconnecting devices can take a long time and result in misleading findings. If I was using just the desktop for 2 hours on its own and there were no problems, there's no way to conclude that if all the devices were connected, that wouldn't have been the case anyway.

I'm happy to test stuff and try things out within reason and I understand the logic of connecting devices on-at-a-time but there's a limit to how much time and effort I can afford to expend on diagnosing what's going on here - especially given the intermittent nature of the fault and the time you have to wait during each iteration of testing to draw any kind of reliable conclusion.

I'm still yet to be advised by Draytek which firmware 3.3.5.1, 3.3.6 or something else that I should be running. Until I get a definitive answer on that, I feel as though messing about with my equipment more than I already have is potentially wasted effort as there's little point carrying out testing on the wrong firmware revision.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2011 11:15 #8 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Shoddy equipment
The difficulty in diagnosis is also that there is no inherrent problem with wireless on the product (otherwise you can imagine with so many units in service, it would be a huge problem) so 'something' is different in your situtation (maybe even the hardware itself).

Forum Administrator

• armitageshanks
  • Topic Author
More
04 Apr 2011 12:23 #9 by armitageshanks
Replied by armitageshanks on topic Re: Vigor 2110n - Wireless Dropout
With the greatest respect, I think that's rather a bold statement to make. The anecdotal evidence is that this is a fairly robust product, for sure, but until recently, I was running firmware 3.3.5.1 as *currently* advised by the draytek.co.uk website. The release notes for 3.3.6, which is the current firmware listed on the draytek.com website, states the following under the heading "Improvement":

"Corrected: Wireless connection may loss the connection in some case."

Assuming that the problem that this corrects is present in the 3.3.5.1 firmware that is listed as current on the .co.uk website, I'd argue that there *is* an inherent problem with the wireless on the product, and that there may be other problems that are undocumented. This problem existed until March 2011 despite the number of units in service and this firmware is likely not rolled out to large quantities of units. I presume a 'huge problem' didn't exist until last month but there was certainly a problem with the wireless on the product.

As you say, there may also be a hardware problem (e.g., dry solder, poorly adhered heatsink etc) and I'm more than happy to carry out testing but I really do need Draytek to tell me what firware revision I need to be running as a starting point from which to begin testing.

More
05 Apr 2011 04:40 #10 by ecigcart
Replied by ecigcart on topic Re: Vigor 2110n - Wireless Dropout
I am using also a desktop computer to setup my local wireless connection but I cannot connect to my other network.
What should I do to connect each other? Can anyone helped to configure the right connection.
I an new to wireless networking.

Any helped much high appreciated. thank you!

I am trying to connect to my neighbors computer.
Because she was developing websites for electronic cigarette . Need you help guys..

i love this game...

• armitageshanks
  • Topic Author
More
05 Apr 2011 19:30 #11 by armitageshanks
Replied by armitageshanks on topic Re: Vigor 2110n - Wireless Dropout
Why has my thread title been edited? The thread is primarily about wireless issues but is also about firmware problems/gui bugs/disparity between the .com and .co.uk websites. I.e., what I perceive to be shoddy quality.

For the benefit of anyone reading this who isn't from Draytek, I've now been advised to use firmware 3.3.6 from the .com site as Draytek, apparently, haven't got round to updating the .co.uk website with the latest version yet.

Also, any chance you can shift the slightly bizarre thread hijack above onto its own thread?

Thanks.

More
07 Jun 2011 23:46 #12 by monsieur_rigsby
Replied by monsieur_rigsby on topic Re: Vigor 2110n - Wireless Dropout
Sorry to slightly necro the thread, but just to back up the issues with 3.3.5.1 f/w. See my separate post:
http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16005

(wireless menu mysteriously disappears, though wireless was actually still working in my case).

May try 3.3.6 from the US site then, though reverting to 3.3.2 seems OK for me.