2820vn and AP-700

• psykix
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
10 Jun 2011 09:12 #1 by psykix
2820vn and AP-700 was created by psykix
I'm struggling to get this working in WDS mode.

I want to extend the range of my 2820, and don't want the clients to have to keep reconnecting when roaming in the house. I had it working in universal repeater mode, but that seemed to be 2 separate wireless networks with the same SSID.

I set up WDS mode, and incremented the MAC address by 1 as per another post on here - this allowed me to connect to the AP-700 and I could ping the 2820 from there. However, there was no internet connectivity. If I plug a network cable between the AP-700 and the 2820 using homeplugs, then all is fine and the internet works without changing anything else - I don't want to have to use the homeplugs though!

Is there a foolproof guide to getting the 2 devices working 100% in WDS mode?

I have read the Mikey's guide and followed that to the letter, but no joy???

One other thing.. when I check link status on the 2820 under WDS settings, it shows the MAC address of the AP-700, but shows it as being down.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2011 14:27 #2 by stuart elliott
Replied by stuart elliott on topic Re: 2820vn and AP-700
Just to hijack your thread, I am having a similar problem, with my new 2750n VDSL2 router, the annoying thing is, I *HAD* it working on my 2830n, but I updated the MAC address on the AP700 to the 2750's Wireless MAC address, and it just wouldn't connect, I tried all versions of TKIP/AES, but it just won't connect in WDS mode, but as you say in your own, it works in "universal repeater" mode.

The strange thing on the 2750, whereas on the 2830, the MAC addresses of the LAN & WIFI were just one digit different apart, on the 2750, the LAN is 00:50:XX:XX:3C:F8 and the WIFI is 5C:33:XX:XX:28:3C.

More
26 Jun 2011 10:21 #3 by dbames
Replied by dbames on topic Re: 2820vn and AP-700
I got my 2820vn and an AP-700 running in WDS bridge - I'll try to look out the instructions I used. Though I do recall it being rather hit-and-miss. (I've just moved house and haven't bothered plugging in the AP-700 due to the more central location of the 2820Vn this time around).

iirc some devices would connect through the AP-700, whilst others would rather connect direct to the (weaker) 2820Vn signal.

• psykix
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
27 Jul 2011 17:10 #4 by psykix
Replied by psykix on topic Re: 2820vn and AP-700
That would be good if you could find the instructions.

I'm really not happy with the level of support from Draytek, and wish I hadn't bought the 2820VN and the AP-700 - they just don't seem to play well together if I'm honest..

I have a Cisco ASA 5505 here, and if I could get cheap N wireless access points that would work with it, I'd just use that instead..

More
28 Jul 2011 12:24 #5 by howard simpson
Replied by howard simpson on topic Re: 2820vn and AP-700
I have a 2820 and an AP700 which I used to have working in WDS mode. Some observations you must use WPA2, You do need to reboot both devices after setting up the config. Also the staus "up" can take several minutes to show up after reboot! It did work but WDS has its drawbacks, your connection speed is immediatly halved and in my case the wireless signal had to go through very thick stone walls so it was not very succesfull. I eventually bit the bullet and put in an ethernet cable between the two units. The difference in peformance was amasing using the cable v the WDS even though the cable is limited to 100MBs it still was more consitant and faster than a wirless N link supposedly at 300. Though in practice when under load it was more like 5 to 10MBs.

Howard

• psykix
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
29 Jul 2011 19:44 #6 by psykix
Replied by psykix on topic Re: 2820vn and AP-700
I ended up going back to Universal Repeater mode, and used different SSID's on the 2820vn and the AP-700 instead of the same one on both..

It works, but it's not particularly elegant.