• westyfield2
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
13 Jun 2011 16:52 #1 by westyfield2
SSID Name Restrictions was created by westyfield2
Hi,

I'm just setting up another Draytek Router (this one's a 2920n) and I've hit a limitation with the allowed characters in the Wireless SSID. It says "The value of the SSID is invalid, SSID only supports 'A-Z,a-z,0-9,_,- and space', please re-enter!"

The character I had attempted to use was a dot. The reason behind my use of a dot was to set the SSID to be companywebsite.com so that in effect our wireless is a great big advert for our website :lol: .

What is the reasoning behind this limitation? And is there a way around it? I've used dots on the SSID before with other vendors equipment and not had problems (well not to my knowledge at least!)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jun 2011 21:08 #2 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Re: SSID Name Restrictions
it's limited there yes, but the telnet interface doesn't have that limitation (really don't understand why it limits it in that sense).

First of all, make sure you've got all the settings on WLAN - General Setup how you want them since you can't edit them after in the web interface without re-changing the name, then go into telnet and enter the command likey so:

wl set "companywebsite.com wireless" 6 on

That'll put the wireless on channel 6, keep it enabled and give it the name you want to use, hope that helps :)

• westyfield2
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
15 Jun 2011 00:10 #3 by westyfield2
Replied by westyfield2 on topic Re: SSID Name Restrictions
Thanks Voodle, worked perfectly 8) .

More
17 Jun 2011 13:05 #4 by thrain
Replied by thrain on topic Re: SSID Name Restrictions

Westyfield2 wrote: The character I had attempted to use was a dot. The reason behind my use of a dot was to set the SSID to be companywebsite.com so that in effect our wireless is a great big advert for our website :lol:

Isn't that an open invite for people trying to hack into your wireless now they know the company name :D