Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

AP-800 connecting to AP-700

• blueatom
  • Topic Author
More
02 Aug 2011 10:15 #1 by blueatom
AP-800 connecting to AP-700 was created by blueatom
Hi,

I am currently using an AP-700 as my access point to give me wireless functionality and this works great with no problems.

To connect some remote devices which only have wired ports to my wireless network I was thinking about investing in a AP-800 which would act as a point to point bridge with the AP-700. However, the AP-800 documentation says this will only work with another AP-800. Is this the case, or will a AP-800 communicate with a AP-700 without any issues?

So my planned network would look like this;

wired network -> AP700 < - - - - - > AP800 } <- multiple wired clients

Thanks,

Richard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2011 08:04 #2 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: AP-800 connecting to AP-700
If it's just one device per AP-800, you'd use Station mode, no ?

Alternatively, why not just buy another AP-700 to be sure ?

Forum Administrator

• blueatom
  • Topic Author
More
03 Aug 2011 09:22 #3 by blueatom
Replied by blueatom on topic Re: AP-800 connecting to AP-700
Hi,

my AP-700 is connected to a switch at my server/internet end so that acts as an access point and allows wireless clients onto the LAN.

At the AP-800 end I have multiple ethernet-only clients that need to connect to the network. Therefore I thought I could use the inbuilt switch in the AP-800 and bridge to the AP-700. If I used a second AP-700 I would need an extra switch which would work but would not be such an elegant solution.

If I've got my wireless terminology correct, then setting the AP-800 to station mode with the AP-700 could be a solution as long as it would connect wirelessly and as long as I could use the 4 lan ports on the AP-800 but it is unclear from the documentation as to whether this would work so any hints appreciated.

Cheers,

Richard

More
04 Aug 2011 19:07 #4 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Re: AP-800 connecting to AP-700
The easiest way to do this as you've said would be to use Station Infrastructure mode, it will work in the way you want it to with the ports effectively being uplinked to the AP700 via wireless.

You could WDS mode between the two, that's not device specific and it'll connect in pretty much the same way but pass MAC addresses through properly, which is useful if you've got stuff like Bind IP to MAC.

• blueatom
  • Topic Author
More
06 Aug 2011 12:37 #5 by blueatom
Replied by blueatom on topic Re: AP-800 connecting to AP-700
Excellent stuff - thanks for that.