DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2920n and iTouch/iPhone disconnects

• sloeberry
  • Topic Author
More
07 Aug 2011 19:17 #1 by sloeberry
Here I am at the end of my tether.

Here's my setup: Vigor 2920n attached to BT Infinity, Sonos ZoneBridge CAT5'd to the router, iTouch and iPhone controller apps (iOS 4.3.5) connected via the router's WiFi (fixed IP, WPA2, No MAC access limits, latest firmware, no interference on channels) controlling three Sonos zones, all via SonosNet WiFi. Problem? The controllers keep dropping the WiFi connection for a few seconds then reconnecting. This results in the Sonos app re-setting and I no longer have the display of album cover, track info, next track etc that I've paid big bucks for. All other (numerous) WiFi gadgets connect perfectly with no obvious drop-outs (though that may be partly 'cause they aren't providing a continuous service in every case)

Trouble is, before I changed router (prior to BT Infinity I ran a Vigor 2710n) there were no problems whatsoever. Thus, I'm inclined to follow the old adage "it's always the router". Having said that, Apple forums are full of WiFi disconnect moaning.

Honest, I've pretty much tried every possible combination of everything (though feel free to make suggestions) on the router, the iTouch/phone and the Sonos software. However, if you've had similar problems and found a solution you could save me a lot of time and money. Next steps otherwise: see if iOS 5 cures things, then buy new (non-Draytek) router. Will probably try the new Netgear WNDR3800 when it's out.

I have reported this to Draytek and submitted log files (proving disconnects) and router config files. Over to you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2011 20:56 #2 by nobody
Why dont get some Basic WiFI Accesspoint, and try out what happens then ?

The WNDR3800 is rather a toy against what the 2920 is capable of, but, it depends on what you look for.

IMO its better to separate the router from the WiFi AP anyway. Wifi standards change much more frequently then Router standards, most WiFi APs are cheap compared to Router boxes.
Also the physical placement of the router might not be ideal for the Wireless lan. Another argument for separate boxes.

If your WiFi is working ok with another Accesspoint in combination with the 2920, then just disable the WiFi of the 2920 and everything is ok. That might spare time, money and frustration.

• sloeberry
  • Topic Author
More
08 Aug 2011 02:16 #3 by sloeberry
Replied by sloeberry on topic Re: Vigor 2920n and iTouch/iPhone disconnects
Hi Nobody,

This is what I need, have spent too much time in the box, need to think outside it. I already have a very effective network of 200MB/s Solwise home plugs. Have just ordered a WiFi enabled plug to act as an access point and will see how that goes. Mind you, if that doesn't work it's almost definitely Apple's fault and then I'll end up buying the ridiculously expensive CR200 Sonos controller...

Thanks for the idea anyway.

• sloeberry
  • Topic Author
More
13 Aug 2011 21:09 #4 by sloeberry
Replied by sloeberry on topic Re: Vigor 2920n and iTouch/iPhone disconnects
Ah, the sheer joy of a solution. Got a Solwise PL-200AV-PEW and set it up as a WiFi access point... Instant and prolonged success! Plus, I've also extended my WiFi range in the process.

Essentially, it is "always the router" after all, though frankly I have no idea in this case why.

Hope this helps others ;o)