AP800 + 802.1q VLANs

• simonts
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
04 Oct 2011 16:21 #1 by simonts
AP800 + 802.1q VLANs was created by simonts
Hi guys - first time user of Draytec products, but long-time user of Cisco, Bay Networks etc.

We have purchased a 2830n-plus router, a P2260 PoE switch and a pair of AP800s for a new network. We need to run two IP subnets over this kit - 192.168.100.x for corporate and 192.168.200.x for 'guest' wireless access. The plan is to use 802.1q tagging to allow the two subnets to run side-by-side over the same cables. On the router I have simply configured the two networks, two SSIDs and two ports from the router to the switch (un-tagged, one net per port). On the switch, 22 ports would be in the corporate VLAN and two ports would run tagging - one to each AP800. The AP 800 would then have both SSIDs, the corporate stuff is configured to be tagged with VID 100, the 'guest' stuff with VID 200 - tagging to be run down to the switch and the switch would then keep the two networks separate, with the router doing the security, firewall etc

The problem I have is with configuring the AP800s. I can create two SSIDs and tell each one to use the correct VID, but the AP won't then forward any IP traffic to the switch. The only way to do it seems to be to set the VID to 0 on either SSID and set the switch port to apply a default VID of 100 or 200 - this then allows that network to communicate across. Obviously this means that we can't run two separated wireless networks.

Can anybody out there please help me or point me in the right direction with this? All help gratefully received. :mrgreen:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nealuk
  • User
  • User
More
05 Oct 2011 10:26 #2 by nealuk
Replied by nealuk on topic Re: AP800 + 802.1q VLANs
Hello, the AP800's had some new firmware out last month, resolving many issues.

If you are still on 1.0.2 (or earlier) then iIt might be worth taking a look at ftp://ftp.draytek.com/VigorAP%20800/Firmware/v1.0.3/

This might not solve everything but should give you a start.

• simonts
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Oct 2011 14:51 #3 by simonts
Replied by simonts on topic Re: AP800 + 802.1q VLANs
Hi Neal,

Thanks very much for that. I had looked on the Draytek website for updated firmware versions, but hadn't found 1.03 for the AP800. I will give that a try this afternoon and let you know how I get on.

Simon

• simonts
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
06 Oct 2011 09:07 #4 by simonts
Replied by simonts on topic Re: AP800 + 802.1q VLANs
I haven't been able to test this properly yet as our Draytek router (2830n-plus) has decided to blow up after less than 48 hours of testing pre-install :evil: - Not exactly impressed at that, or at the fact that our supplier doesn't carry spares so could be waiting a few days for a replacement.

However, reading the release notes;-

Fixed: VLAN TAG function doesn't work while LAN B is not enabled

sounds like exactly the problem I was having - single Ethernet cable to supply PoE and run VLAN tagging. Hopefully once I get my router back I will be able to test this again.