Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek 2820N Wifi + Xbox 360

• jason@espprojects.co.uk
  • Topic Author
More
06 Oct 2011 20:19 #1 by jason@espprojects.co.uk
Draytek 2820N Wifi + Xbox 360 was created by jason@espprojects.co.uk
Hi All,

We have sold loads of 2820 routers and have been very impressed with them. Very few problems have occurred with them and with each new firmware release things seem to improve. However, I have one client that is giving me a major headache with regards to the wireless connection between the 2820n and his Xbox360. No matter what I do with it, the connection is very very very poor. He gets a maximum of around 20minutes connected before it cuts out. He previously had a D-Link router which worked flawlessly with the Xbox but didn't give some other features that he needed. I have tried several different things, none of which have worked.
1. have tried with UPNP on and off - no success
2. have tried opening all of the relevant ports to the IP of the Xbox - no success
3. have tried the Xbox as a DMZ - no success
4. have turned off the DOS defense - no success
I really don't know where to go from here. I've been banging my head against a brick wall with it for the last few days and he is really starting to bug me!
Can anyone help?

Jason

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2011 20:31 #2 by kc_
Replied by kc_ on topic Re: Draytek 2820N Wifi + Xbox 360
I have exactly the same issues
2820vn (3.3.5.2)

More
30 Oct 2011 21:23 #3 by blueranger
Replied by blueranger on topic Re: Draytek 2820N Wifi + Xbox 360
I can confirm the symptoms. I have tried all of the above with the same result. My son's XBox will just not work for longer than 20 minutes when connected wirelessly to our 2820Vn.

In addition I have tried both the "g" and "n" XBox wireless adapters, various versions of the 2820 firmware, a spare wireless router in WDS mode, a Squeezebox Boom as a link to the wireless network, all with no effect on the problem. There seems to be something in the XBox wireless traffic which causes a serious problem to the 2820.

I resorted to running a length of cat5 out of his bedroom window and in through the study window to connect to the 2820. I have now replaced this with a set of powerline ethernet plugs which work perfectly.

More
05 Jan 2012 17:29 #4 by numbnuts
Replied by numbnuts on topic Re: Draytek 2820N Wifi + Xbox 360
Great,

I bought one of these recently and spent a disproportionate amount of my Xmas holidays trying to get it to work with an Xbox.

Tried opening ports, swapping to WEP etc.

Has anyone had any success with this yet?Anyone from Draytek available to comment?
It seems a recent firmware patch fixed a similar issue for the 2930?

Rob.

More
05 Jan 2012 23:25 #5 by kc_
Replied by kc_ on topic Re: Draytek 2820N Wifi + Xbox 360
Mine was fixed in 3.3.7... and still working with 3.3.7.1