wireless oddities with 2830

• oliverm
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
23 Jan 2012 21:07 #1 by oliverm
wireless oddities with 2830 was created by oliverm
I've swapped out my home router for a new 2830 from the office and I'm now seeing a weird wifi issue.

Machines connected at home appear to loose the wifi connection for a period. The device (whether it's iphone, mac or windows) shows it's connected with an IP address but any transfers stop, pages timeout, real time media stop.

However pings continue to work, ping responses continue to be received. DNS lookups still work.

If you sit and watch a 30 minute show in the iPlayer it will pause for about 10 to 30 seconds about 3 or 4 times in that 30 minutes. And yet a ping running in the background works fine.

We have about 5 laptops and about 4 idevices and they all show the same oddity.

Swap it back out for the old netgear that was there and it works normally without any issues.

Any suggestions? I'm aware that this issue, in appearance, does seem very similar to another thread on the forum about wifi issues with apple iDevices. The symptoms are very similar indeed but in this case seem to happen across the board, regardless of OS.

Olly

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2012 10:36 #2 by howard simpson
Replied by howard simpson on topic Re: wireless oddities with 2830
Are the netgear and 2830 using the same channel? could be inerference from a neighbour on the new channel. Is the old netgear just wireless G, the 2820 is n, but have you also got it broadcasting in g as well. Is it set for green field.These could all be factors.

Howard

• oliverm
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
24 Jan 2012 10:48 #3 by oliverm
Replied by oliverm on topic Re: wireless oddities with 2830
tried lots of channels. Only two other wifi networks around and the wifi sniffer i use shows them to be on other channels.

Tried b/g and b/g/n, both give the same results.

*not* using the green field option (not sure what that does but willing to try it)

More
28 Jan 2012 18:06 #4 by blackhat72
Replied by blackhat72 on topic Re: wireless oddities with 2830
have you tried configuring the Draytek syslog recorder and pointing all the traffic logs from the draytek to the syslog, that way you'll see whats going on?

Wireshark helps as well, if you know what you're doing that is.

Technical Consultant.

www.fahrenheit-it.com

• russell10dib
  • User
  • User
More
31 Jan 2012 15:26 #5 by russell10dib
Replied by russell10dib on topic Re: wireless oddities with 2830
Hi I have seen this issue many times and it seems to be with the type of encryption.

Have you tried removing the Wi-Fi Profile form each device and reloading them?

More
05 Mar 2012 17:02 #6 by mikeheanue
Replied by mikeheanue on topic Re: wireless oddities with 2830
Hi Russell and others,

I have tried removing the routers wifi profile and rejoining pcs to it but without improved performance.

We have a draytek 2820 router also working as an AP (weak signal) and an aditional Draytek Vigor 700 (stronger signal) working for us in an office.

The routers AP Signal is really weak and unreliable and the other ap regularly drops out.

We ran a Chanalizer scan and also scaned the local network with InSSIDer.

Just wondering how well this device works with network noise in terms of consistency.
Any Views??