Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Wireless drops out

• cabot
  • Topic Author
More
31 Jan 2012 09:44 #1 by cabot
Wireless drops out was created by cabot
Hi All

I have a very strange issue where I have installed 2 different Draytek 2830N and a 2830VN router to try to resolve this issue and that is that for no reason I can see the wireless SSID disappears this can last up to 10 minutes and then reappear. As I have stated I have configured 3 different routers all with the same issue on this site, another spanner in the works is if I unlock all security on the SSID it seems to last longer, however under normal circumstances I would have one secured SSID and one isolated unsecured SSID for visiting customers.

Any help appreciated :?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2012 10:58 #2 by howard simpson
Replied by howard simpson on topic Re: Wireless drops out
Sounds like a radio interference problem. Did you use the site survey feature in the routers to see which channels were in use by your neigbours? Also Net stumbler / vistumbler are also good tools to see what channels are in use in your locality. It also may not be another WI FI access point it could be a another form of radio interference. Wireless phones ,baby alarms, taxi office transmitter etc. can all drown out your wifi AP! Also the location of the transmitter arial is crucial keep it away from metal filing cabinets, metal partition walls etc.

Howard

• cabot
  • Topic Author
More
31 Jan 2012 15:59 #3 by cabot
Replied by cabot on topic Re: Wireless drops out
Hi Howard

thanks for the advice, yes have used the built in scan and we are well clear of the other networks in the area the strange thing is this has only happened in the last few weeks, i was thinking of moving the router to a different location in the building and fitting a filter on the power supply as well just in case?