Setup Wireless Guest Portal

• regisit
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
01 Feb 2012 18:00 #1 by regisit
Setup Wireless Guest Portal was created by regisit
The latest 2830 & 2850 routers are being marketed with a new Wireless Guest Portal feature. Logging in to a brand new 2850n and there's no mention of this feature anywhere. The 2850n User Manual also has no mention of this feature. In fact, the only place I can find any mention anywhere on the internet is in the marketing blurb!

Can someone explain how where the setup information is for this new feature or how to set it up?

Tks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Feb 2012 11:45 #2 by frag
Replied by frag on topic Re: Setup Wireless Guest Portal
This is actually a combination of features on the router.

Firstly, you need to create a VLAN to segment off a guest wireless network.

The next step is to enable user management on the device so that users who try and access the web get a login page with username/password credentials. This can then be configured to go to a particular landing page. Combine the guest network with a publicly available username/passord/landing page and hey presto; you have yourself one guest network.

At least that's my take on the marketing blurb.

• regisit
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
02 Feb 2012 12:02 #3 by regisit
Replied by regisit on topic Re: Setup Wireless Guest Portal
Thanks Frag. After much perusing of the settings I kind of figured out the VLAN bit, but no clue as to how go about the 2nd part - user management, such that users connecting via the guest SSID are captured and isolated, but normal LAN/private SSID users are not.

Draytek Support - please post here or better a public article/FAQ or better still, update User Manual to explain clearly how to go about enabling this great new feature you're marketing the latest boxes as having. And quickly please - I have a customer waiting for me to install this new box with this feature enabled!

Thanks.

More
03 Feb 2012 09:04 #4 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Re: Setup Wireless Guest Portal
To do that, you need to make a firewall rule that covers your internal subnet using that as the source IP for the rule - if you have a filter rule configured for a subnet, it exempts it from the user management so it won't require a login to access the internet :)

• regisit
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
03 Feb 2012 09:27 #5 by regisit
Voodle, you will not believe the configurations I have tried to get this working! If you have managed to get this working and can provide a set of bullets on how to set this up on the various settings pages, can you post here? That would be much appreciated.

The simple fact is that Draytek have marketed this as a feature of the router. One would then expect it to appear as a feature on the router, but it doesn't.

So failing that, one would expect a section in the User Manual that describes clearly and without ambiguity how to set up this "feature", but there isnt.

So failing that, one would expect a FAQ or KB article on the Draytek support site to describe how to achieve this "feature", but there isn't.

So failing that, one would expect to be able to contact UK partner support for information on how to achieve this "feature", but they have no idea.

So failing that, one would expect to be able to contact Drayek Head Office support for information on how to achieve this "feature", but they just sent a link to a Web Portal feature available on the 2910 that has no bearing on the 2850.

As you might have guessed, I'm extremely frustrated by this. What should have been a quick setup and test has turned into hours of wasted effrort, with a client breathing down my neck to get this working. And all because is appears Draytek marketing people have thought of a new way to attract interest in their products without ensuring that support information is there to deliver. Can't they see how much damage this does? This is a bit like when they released their 2820 IPPBX box, which turned out to be not fit for purpose and requered several firmware revisions before anyone could reliably deploy it.

• regisit
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
03 Feb 2012 10:29 #6 by regisit
I've kind of got something working. It won't got to any kind of portal page as defined in User Management, but that issue can wait for now.

The issue now is that when authenticating, the browser goes to https://192.168.1.1/ which generates an immediate certifcate warning. I cannot see how it's possible to obtain a 3rd party certificate for this address, nor can I find any setting to tell it to go to http instead. As a guest Wifi service, its obviously unacceptable to generating an immediate alert when guests access it - most people don't undertsand what this warning means.

Any ideas?