DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2820 WDS & Airport Express as extender?

• glynh
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
03 Feb 2012 13:45 #1 by glynh
After reading many things about this on the web I believe it can be done...but how?

All of Apples instructions refer to using it with their own Airport Extreme and not a 3rd party router from what I can see.

I have tried most everything I can think of but can't seem to get to to work.

My 2820 is in the loft and I have two rooms in the house where the wi-fi signal is not great.

I have an Airport Express with latest 7.6.1 firmware and would like to set it up just to be able to plug it into one of these rooms to instantly flood the room with wi-fi signal and piggy back to my 2820Vn to talk to the rest of the house/world!

Is there a resource or idiots guide to doing this please?

I have had the Airport Express working and available through Airport Utility but not as an extender.

I have tried turning on Bridge Mode, added its password, enabling/disabling its security, enabling and added its MAC address into Bridge on the 2820 then choosing 'Extend a wireless network' on the Airport Express and it just sits there flashing its amber light and being unavailable even to its own Airport Utility showing as a device with a problem but being unable to access it.

Help!

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Feb 2012 09:48 #2 by frag
BLASPHEMY!!!

• agentx
  • User
  • User
More
08 Feb 2012 11:55 #3 by agentx
Good luck with that have always had issues setting up WDS with Apple Networking Equipment even if everything is Apple!
Things have got better with latest hardware / firmware incarnations.
I tend to use PowerLIne adapters to get a hard link between main router and an AP nowadays as more reliable than WDS.

However the key thing is to try and set it all up with "g" only network with WPA2 (AES).
Turn off "n" networking.