DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820n - Unable to connect to WLAN

• pc.care.essex
  • Topic Author
More
26 Apr 2012 18:38 #1 by pc.care.essex
2820n - Unable to connect to WLAN was created by pc.care.essex
I am providing support to a customer who has a 2820n router, with an AP700 AP mode (ethernet connected), an AP700 WDS Bridge mode (WLAN connected) and another AP700 in repeater mode. Quite a collection. All set up by another company a year or so back, but never running too well.

Everthing seems to work, then after a few days the WLAN fails for every WLAN connected device (the ethernet AP700 is the only working client, and that can be used through its wWLAN signal without issue). The signal is strong from each device but for each AP700 that is wirelessly connected the symptom is the loss of internet connectivity. In fact the network typically either connects but as an "unidentifed network" on Win7 and Vista, or fails to get an IP address on Android, or gives a "local only" connection. Actually no IP is obtained on the remote device trying to connect.
When this happens, I have traced back to find that I cannot connect to the main router with wireless device - the WLAN is available, but not accessible. It is like the DHCP function is failing. The status on the router appears ok, the solution is to reboot the router, but doing this every few days is of course not practical.

Any idea's?

Nick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2012 09:25 #2 by howard simpson
Replied by howard simpson on topic Re: 2820n - Unable to connect to WLAN
I had exactly those symptoms you described when I had a AP700 and a 2820n connected in bridge mode or repeater mode, didn't make any difference which mode. Although the AP700 and the 2820n were only12ft appart the building structure and interference just stopped the link from working reliably. I tried all sorts, what I did find was when I put a laptop in the same position as the AP700 and connected to the 2820n wirelessly the signal strength looked good, however when actually transferring data the connection speed droped to almost nothing so it must have been interference, despite the signal showing as still good! So eventually I had to bite the bullet and run a cable between them. It all works perfectly in ethernet connected AP mode as you can confirm. thats probaly as in that mode you use a different channel. I have a homeplug wireless n AP also, thats on CH13, the 2820 on CH6 and the AP700 on CH1. Getting the channels as far apart as possible certainly increased the throughputs. Also remember that the speed when you get connect in bridge or repeater mode at the end of that AP700 chain the speed will be 1/4 of the speed at the first wireless link as they allhave to be on the same channel. Is the 2820n on the same channel as the AP700s if so thqat could be the problem.

Howard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.