• aaronluker
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
18 May 2012 16:59 #1 by aaronluker
Guest WiFi access - new access code daily was created by aaronluker
Hi

A customer has just bought a new 2830n expecting it to provide WiFi access for an "admin" network and provide guests access on an second SSID... not a problem

They have also asked in addition if the 2830n can change the guest SSID password daily automatically.

Is this even possible ... how would they know what the access code is?

Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• briain
  • User
  • User
More
18 May 2012 17:26 #2 by briain
Hi

An interesting and cool idea for something like a hotel public Wi-Fi access system; maybe Draytek could consider adding that as a new feature? Of course, the issue is that many such places would likely have separate WAP's, but for a smaller business (maybe a B&B, restaurant, a bar, or such like) it could be a really nice feature to have built into the Draytek (I know folks who would probably quite like that sort of service to be available in their setups).

My best guess for an easy solution would be a script (running on a PC) that logs into the Draytek via SSH and changes it at the command line (I would expect that to be possible, but it's not something I've ever actually looked at) Maybe you'd have to delete and re-create the SSID/Password each day (same SSID but new password) it all depends on how that can most easily be driven by using CLI commands. How you then generate the pseudorandom password is another issue (maybe you could just have a long list and cycle through them). Then there's the issue of how you sent it to the customer, but assuming that the script runs on a PC (i.e. the script's commands could be sent via a telnet or SSH client) part of the script could simply output the daily password as a text file on the PC's desktop (that would make it very easy to do, and very easy for the customer to know what today's guest password is).

Of course, if the script could live in the Draytek (instead of being run on a remote PC) it could likely be triggered by a daily cron job (which I'd expect is what the Applications>>Schedule feature might use) and also include a section to trigger the creation and sending of an email (which you'd think would be possible; the Draytek does have an email creation feature as part of the Mail Alert Setup section) or a SMS with the password it has just used for the guest SSID. I guess that's more in the area of what Draytek would have to design if they built it as a feature (I'd doubt we have high enough access privileges to do such a thing ourselves, and in any case, I'm not quite clever enough to even try it)!!

Okay, sorry that's not a nice turnkey solution, but maybe a few ideas to ponder on the best way to do it. If you can find the CLI commands required to change the password for a given SSID (assuming that's possible via CLI) then I'd think the script on a PC (SSH or telnet to the Draytek) and output the password to a desktop text file would be something well within the capability of many an amateur enthusiast. You never know, someone might respond with the actual answer!

Bri :)

More
21 May 2012 14:07 #3 by frag
Hi,

As Briain quite rightly says, you should be able to script this in some manner.

I am posting simply to say that there is no 'in-built' option on the router which will allow this, it would all have to be third party.

• aaronluker
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
24 May 2012 17:02 #4 by aaronluker
Replied by aaronluker on topic Re: Guest WiFi access - new access code daily
Thanks guys for the reply.

I was looking along the same route it would be great "built in" to the router and have it email or text you a random generated WPA2 key.

How do you contact Draytek with feature requests?

A :)