• glynh
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
23 Jun 2012 16:17 #1 by glynh
Extending range of 2820 was created by glynh
Hi there,

I have a DrayTek 2820Vn in the loft fitted with three high gain antennas which gives a great signal to the front of the house but I have two rooms in my house where the wi-fi signal is low...one upstairs and one downstairs both at the back of the house.

I would also like to extend the range out into the back garden.

What would be the best way to go about this?

Is it easier to buy a cheap & cheerful DrayTek router that supports WDS as I believe there can be problems utilising different brands of routers to achieve this?

Which settings would I have to enable/disable on each router to get this to work and would I have to cable the 'extending router' to the DrayTek or the switch to which everything is connected or could it be linked wirelessly?

I do have an Airport Extreme with latest 7.6.1 firmware and would like to configure this as a wi-fi range extender and just plug it into one of these 'dead' rooms to flood it with a wi-fi signal enabling connectivity with the rest of the house/world but am guessing it is not as easy as this and there might be compatibility issues.

Has anybody been down this road before and if so would they mind spelling out the correct/best way to achieve this please?

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• glynh
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
30 Jun 2012 17:03 #2 by glynh
Replied by glynh on topic Re: Extending range of 2820
Still looking for a way to extend the range of my 2820 if some kind soul could help please?

Would prefer to use an Airport Express as I have a couple kicking around and have no issues with cabling it to my network to use it to extend my wireless range but don't mind buying a cheaper Draytek wireless access point if will do a better job and allow me to connect to my 2820 without a cable.

Plan is to have one wireless network and have devices seamlessly connect to whichever provides the strongest signal in any particular part of the house.

There are a couple of rooms which suffer with low Wi-Fi signal...

Would also be good to use it to wirelessly tether my D-SLR at the bottom of the garden close to the bird feeders!

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

• nealuk
  • User
  • User
More
30 Jun 2012 22:17 #3 by nealuk
Replied by nealuk on topic Re: Extending range of 2820
A network cable between the two devices, and then with them each set to the same SSID and security phrase but on different channels would be the best option.