DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Additional router used for wireless connections in LAN

• blood1000
  • Topic Author
More
16 Aug 2012 12:48 #1 by blood1000
Hi

Can someone help me configure this please?

The network is a Windows Active Directory domain. DNS and DHCP are installed on the domain controllers. The network uses a 192.168.0.xx/255.255.255.0 addressing system. The network is completely wired.

I have a Vigor 2820 that provides Internet connectivity and routes SMTP, FTP, VPN, IMAP traffic to the relevant servers. Wireless functionality is not available on this device. It will soon be replaced by a 2830.

I recently purchased a Vigor2750Vn to replace the 2820 but did not realise it was a VDSL router rather than an ADSL router. So, I'd like to use the wireless capabilities to allow wireless connections to our network and the Internet. I've never configured a router as a 'slave' to another router so any help will be appreciated.

I have configured the wireless aspect of the 2750 and have enabled two SSID's. One isolated (Public access) and one not isolated (Company access). On the LAN > General Setup page I have enabled 'Force DNS manual setting' and entered the IP address of the 2820 which is connected to the Internet. According to the manual this setting will "Force router to use DNS servers in this page instead of DNS servers given by the Internet Access server (PPPoE, PPTP, L2TP or DHCP server)."

My problem is that although a wireless client can connect there is no Internet connection available when connecting via the public wireless connection (no password is required). When connecting via the company wireless connection, which requires a password, Internet access is available.

Is this because the 2820 which provides our Internet access is purely wired? Is there any way around this so that I can grant Internet access to the public connection, but keep it off the domain?

A noob question, I am sure!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• blood1000
  • Topic Author
More
16 Aug 2012 14:44 #2 by blood1000
A little more information.

In my original post I connected wirelessly using an iPod to connect to the company connection. The device has no problem connecting to the Internet.

When I use a laptop to connect to the company connection, I can navigate the domain, but there is no Internet access. According to an ipconfig /all the default gateway is the address of the wireless router and the DNS server address is the IP address of the 2820.

DHCP is now enabled on the wireless router and gives out a limited range of addresses so there is no overlap with the DHCP server on the domain.

Any ideas why the laptop can't connect to the Internet, but my iPod can, please?

Thanks!

• blood1000
  • Topic Author
More
16 Aug 2012 15:42 #3 by blood1000
I worked out why the laptop could not connect to the Internet. I had turned on the DHCP server of the wireless router after I had connected my iPod. So, the iPod was getting the correct gateway and DNS addresses from the domain, while the laptop could not (the wireless router does not know about these and they cannot be inputted).

So, please ignore my second question.

Apologies :oops: