Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2820n only connecting at 54Mbps!!

• dlogan83
  • Topic Author
More
13 Sep 2012 12:40 #1 by dlogan83
Vigor 2820n only connecting at 54Mbps!! was created by dlogan83
Hi All,

I have a Vigor 2820n and it works fine. Only think is i have both older kit that can only achieve a G connection at 54Mbps and I have some new kit with N cards, but all i ever get is 54Mbps from these. The wifi is set to broadcast at all speeds.

Am i missing something within the routers setup to enable N devices to achieve a faster connection?. The router is only a couple of meters away.

Thanks
Davis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Sep 2012 09:07 #2 by howard simpson
Replied by howard simpson on topic Re: Vigor 2820n only connecting at 54Mbps!!
My understandingof the 2820 is that if you have it set in multi mode then when a g device connects the N devices are slowed to the g speed!

Howard

More
14 Sep 2012 12:07 #3 by admin
I think that's the case; they run at the speed of the slowest client :-(

Forum Administrator

• j03y
  • User
  • User
More
18 Sep 2012 13:31 #4 by j03y
I get conflicting answers from internet searching over what mixing 802.11g and 802.11n devices will mean for performance. One page I have read flat out said you'll be limited to 54Mpbs no matter what. Another said that you will recieve better performance for your 802.11n clients but not as much as a pure 802.11n network and with worsening effect for the more 802.11g devices you have. That page wasn't specific on what "better performance" meant though.

It is also worth noting that:

[*]In order for an 802.11n device to get a rate above 54Mbps it needs to be connected to the access point using WPA2 encryption (PSK or enterprise). Might be worth checking that the settings on the router and the client allow this. As is my understanding if you have mixed mode encryption set - (WPA+ WPA2) PSK/802.11x - that shouldn't be an issue if one client connects using WPA encryption.

[*]If you don't have an older 802.11b client that needs it try unchecking "Long Preamble" mode if you enabled that.

Hope that helps.

• dlogan83
  • Topic Author
More
26 Sep 2012 19:32 #5 by dlogan83
Replied by dlogan83 on topic Re: Vigor 2820n only connecting at 54Mbps!!
Thanks, It was worth a shot.