DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

AP800 Repeater Mode

• mswindale
  • Topic Author
More
07 Dec 2012 15:03 #1 by mswindale
AP800 Repeater Mode was created by mswindale
Hi I have configured an AP800 as a Universal repeater but no devices connected either wireless or into the 4 port switch on it can get DHCP addresses. From our network I can see the AP800 without the cables being in so the 2 wireless devices can see each other but no traffic appears to go between. I have tried a pc with a static IP pluuged in to lan of AP800 and it can see the AP800, the 2820 router and can access the internet.

Is it because our server gives out DHCP and not the 2820??

Or am I missing something fundamental in the setup?

THANKS!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Dec 2012 12:01 #2 by johnpbell
Replied by johnpbell on topic Re: AP800 Repeater Mode
Hi mswindale,

I have exactly the same problem trying to do exactly the same with a 2830VN+ and an AP800 as a universal repeater to extend my coverage.

It would appear that the DHCP broadcasts get blocked. If you set a static IP address with the correct DNS and G/W on your client device, it connects and works fine.

I have a (rather naff) work-around, that is to setup DHCP on the AP800 also, make sure its IP address pool is outside the scope of any other DHCP server (such as the 2830), set the correct DNS and default gateway.

Stations connecting to the AP800 pick up an IP lease from the AP800, and stations connecting to the 2830 pick up their IP lease from the 2830 (Actually, I use a Win 2008 server on my local LAN and disable DHCP on the 2830)

Whilst it works, I am still having some issues which I think may be down to ALL IP broadcast packets being blocked (which could explain the DHCP issue), as things like iTunes on my LAN is unable to see any Airplay devices connected wirelessly to the AP800.

If I find a proper solution, I'll let you know.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.