2820n and Apple Airport Express 2012

• steve23094
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Feb 2013 18:54 #1 by steve23094
2820n and Apple Airport Express 2012 was created by steve23094
Hi All,

Some of you may have seen my previous post here:- http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=18048

Basically my network is not fast enough and I'm trying to increase speed. I have a mixture of g only, n at 2.4Ghz only and n at 5Ghz capable devices I want to hook up. The reception in my property is pretty ropey, it's an apartment block with up to 15 other wireless networks in the 2.4Ghz band within range. Some parts of the property have no wireless signal at all. I also have a cordless phone right next to the router (I know, but it's really not practical to relocate it). The 5Ghz band in the area is empty.

I have a Virgin Media Superhub bridged to my 2820n, I definitely want the extra flexibility my Draytek brings to the network. The 2820n has one gigabit port and three 100Mb ports. The 2820n supports mixed mode g and n at 2.4Ghz.

I have a Synology NAS attached to the only gigabit port on my router. I have a five port gigabit Netgear switch connected off one of the other 100Mb ports and this feeds my TV, Blu Ray player, DVR and Apple TV 3. I store 1080p video on my NAS that I want to feed around various wired and wireless devices on the network. The wired connections cope okay, typically only one is active at a time. My wireless connections are another matter and are not getting enough bandwidth, having to constantly pause to buffer.

I am hoping that introducing 5Ghz n into the network will improve wireless speed sufficiently to cope with the video streaming, either by virtue of less interference or just installing a network extender where the coverage in the property is poor.

I have looked at some Buffalo and Netgear equipment but think I have settled on an Apple Airport Express (2012) because it provides me with some flexibility moving forward. The AE can transmit on g, 2.4Ghz n and 5Ghz n simultaneously (correct me if I'm wrong).

So... some questions for you. You may only be able to answer one, or you may have a completely different suggestion as I may be doing this all wrong. Any contribution would be much appreciated.

1. My first choice would probably be to hook up the AE to one of the 100Mb ports and just introduce 5Ghz n into the network. From what I have read I think this should work without a hitch, do you agree? Have I missed something blindingly obvious?

[CONTINUED ON REPLY TO MYSELF DUE TO MESSAGE LENGTH LIMIT]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• steve23094
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Feb 2013 18:55 #2 by steve23094
Replied by steve23094 on topic Re: 2820n and Apple Airport Express 2012
[CONTINUED ON REPLY TO MYSELF DUE TO MESSAGE LENGTH LIMIT]

2. If option one doesn't get me the coverage and speed I need my second choice would be to use the AE as a wireless network extender, locating it somewhere convenient in the house to try to improve coverage in dead areas. I would hope it would then transmit back to my 2820n on 2.4Ghz n and at the same time cover the area with 5Ghz n. I understand the AE can be a little tricky to do this with and will only hook back to a router using WDS. Has anyone successfully paired an AE with a Draytek? What were your experiences? Will capable devices automatically choose 2.4Ghz n or 5Ghz n to achieve the highest possible speed?

3. And finally if that doesn't work my last choice would be to use a pair of Solwise 200Mbps Homeplugs I already own, connecting one to the router and locating the other in a dead coverage room and hang the AE off that. Would there be any issues with that?

Of course if Draytek had a mixed mode g, 2.4Ghz n and 5Ghz n router similar to the 2820n then I would just buy that and forget all this kerfuffle, but that looks like a non-starter at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.