DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2830np VERY slow wireless and only 150Mbps

• brimur
  • Topic Author
More
30 Apr 2013 22:56 #1 by brimur
This is driving me nuts, I setup my brand new 2830np yesterday. Even updated to the latesd firmware that came out this month.

My issue is the wireless speeds are very slow. I had a Dlink Dir-655 which I "upgraded" to the 2830np. First off, we have three laptops in the house each with an Intel Centrino Advanced N 6205. Each laptop connected to the DIR-655 @ 300Mbps and had transfer rates of between 12MBps and 16MBps when transferring files to/from the NAS which was connected via one of the gigabit ports on the DIR-655.

On the 2830np however I'm seeing max speeds of only 5 or 6 MBs from any of my three laptops and thats is in the same room as the router, and can only connect @ 150Mbps. I have tried removing security and leaving the network open, this did nothing. I tried both 11n 2.4GHz and 5 Ghz, this did nothing but when connected in 5GHz mode the laptops connected @ 144Mbps. I changed to 11g Only and connected @ 54Mbps but the speed dropped to only 2MBps for file transfer. I even removed the aerials and screwed them back on. This also did nothing. Please tell me there is something I can do to fix this or I will have to RMA the unit and wait another 5 or 6 weeks! :|

Update: I replaced the aerials with those from the dir-655 and the link speed seems to jump between 270 and 300 but the throughput is still 5 - 6 MBps . Did I get a dud router?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• babis3g
  • User
  • User
More
01 May 2013 02:52 #2 by babis3g
Assuming at Wireless LAN >> Advanced Setting
Operation Mode mixed mode
channel bandwitch tick 20-40
guard auto
aggregation enable

I will say to contact the support ... they may ask you send the current aerials for testing and if they find them faulty they should send you new with out charge (assuming you are under warranty)...
personal i dont think is the unit but the antennas
If was the unit will not give enough power to the d-link antennas either

• brimur
  • Topic Author
More
01 May 2013 11:39 #3 by brimur

babis3g wrote: Assuming at Wireless LAN >> Advanced Setting
Operation Mode mixed mode
channel bandwitch tick 20-40
guard auto
aggregation enable

I will say to contact the support ... they may ask you send the current aerials for testing and if they find them faulty they should send you new with out charge (assuming you are under warranty)...
personal i dont think is the unit but the antennas
If was the unit will not give enough power to the d-link antennas either

Thanks for the reply, my advanced setting match those above. I turned on Green Field also to see if that would increase the speed but it did not. Whats annoying is that even though I can connect now at 300Mb with the Dlink antennae the throughput speed is still the same, between 5MB/s and 6 MB/s and only 1MB/s when I drop to G. Again, this is sitting within 3 feet (1m) of the 2830np :?

• babis3g
  • User
  • User
More
01 May 2013 13:01 #4 by babis3g
Hi again
Can you make sure you have the correct firmware? Go to draytek UI
System Maintenance >> Firmware Upgrade ... or ... when you log in, just check the system status (top of the page stating the firmware _sb_ or _db_)

2830np must stand for n (wireless) & p (plus) so you need to have the _db_ (dual band) to be mentioned in the firmware, so must have both the 2,4 & 5G bands
If you have only 2.4G may be something wrong
Use this guide to check it
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb/kb_vigor_2830_dual_band.html

If you have the _sb_ firmware will make problem/issues with the wifi ... if you all ready have the _db_ go ahead for the support (or wait if other member reply with an other idea/suggestion) because right now can not think something else with its wifi settings

• brimur
  • Topic Author
More
02 May 2013 17:56 #5 by brimur
Hi babis36,

You'll see in my original post that I can use 5GHz mode and connect to it, but the link speed is only 144Mbps. My firmware is the latest, to my knowledge, 3.6.4_db_232201

B