Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor AP800 resetting

• psxftw
  • Topic Author
More
02 Dec 2013 09:59 #1 by psxftw
Vigor AP800 resetting was created by psxftw
Hello there, [Should be resolved, see last post]

We're using 4 of the AP800 at our sites and recently one of them has started to act rather strange. It keeps randomly resetting to defaults after 1-3 days and losing all settings. At that point I have to log into it through the default ip and restore the config. The other 3 don't seem to suffer from any similar problems.

We've been using it for about a year and no change in the settings or the way we use it so it is a bit bizarre. I can only think that there is possibly something wrong with it or somebody from the nightshift keeps resetting it. However, the latter is unlikely as the default set-up would not allow anyone connecting to it to have internet access or in fact even network access.

Also the AP is powered by POE from a small Cisco switch and there is nothing else plugged into the ethernet ports. Could the AP be more sensitive to power fluctuations than the other devices plugged into/powered by the switch? Bearing in mind one of the other APs is powered by the same model switch, but located elsewhere in the building.

I've updated the firmware today, to the new recently released version hoping that it will help out, but if anyone has any ideas and suggestions I'm all ears (eyes?).

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• babis3g
  • User
  • User
More
02 Dec 2013 15:42 #2 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Vigor AP800 resetting
Only posting for the firmware part
Latest is here ftp://ftp.draytek.com/VigorAP%20800/Firmware/v1.1.2/
If you keep updating the unit for long time & did not master reset it, maybe is worth after the update to 1.1.2 to master reset it ... will lose all its settings (so you will have to set them back from the begin) but it may helps operate better

• psxftw
  • Topic Author
More
05 Dec 2013 11:33 #3 by psxftw
Replied by psxftw on topic Re: Vigor AP800 resetting
Update:

The first firmware upgrade didn't do anything. The AP still reset to default settings on its own.

I have since swapped it with one of the other APs that aren't having any issues and kept the original one plugged in at my desk. I've reset it to factory default using the button on the AP and also downgraded to 1.1.1 firmware. So far the AP has been stable for about 45 hours (give or take a few). If it does not reset again, I will try to upgrade to 1.1.2 firmware again.

• psxftw
  • Topic Author
More
12 Dec 2013 12:23 #4 by psxftw
Replied by psxftw on topic Re: Vigor AP800 resetting
Well, the AP is no longer resetting to defaults on its own even with the newest firmware (it has been stable for a few days).

Have to say that the new firmware has a really annoying "feature" though - it doesn't allow you to change the IP address of the AP. If you change it, message does pop up that it is restarting but the IP stays the same and you have to go to System maintenance and reboot from there (actually had to do it a couple of times).

• babis3g
  • User
  • User
More
24 Jan 2014 04:49 #5 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Vigor AP800 resetting
Perhaps old thread but there is by now a newer firmware 1.1.3 which has few corrections, one of them

 Fixed: LAN IP is effective only restarting the VigorAP800 manuall

If will helps is here
ftp://ftp.draytek.com/VigorAP%20800/Firmware/v1.1.3/

More
25 Jan 2014 17:35 #6 by blueranger
Replied by blueranger on topic Re: Vigor AP800 resetting
Be careful with this latest 1.1.3 firmware.

I updated eight ap-800s during last week and they all began locking up around 12-24 hours afterwards. I've since gone back to 1.1.2 on them all and they seem to be stable again.