Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820N - Extending Multiple SSIDS

• maniac3575
  • Topic Author
More
04 Dec 2013 15:01 #1 by maniac3575
2820N - Extending Multiple SSIDS was created by maniac3575
Hello,

We have a client who currently has a 2820N with 2 SSIDS, one for access to the LAN, and one as an internet only guest access.
The router does not act as the DHCP server, instead it forwards dhcp requests to the Windows Server on the LAN.

They are in quite a large building, and wish to extend these 2 SSIDS around to currently inaccessable locations. These locations do have CAT5 outlets wired to teh LAN already, but in the age of Ipads etc, also wish to have wireless access.

I have seen that both the AP700 & AP800 allow for multiple SSIDS, however I have one question.

Ideally I would like to use the wiring to connect these AP's up, rather than connect them up wirelessly, as there is a long corridor with offices, and I would like to avoid the potential of the 2nd AP going down, and everything further down the chain therefore being unable to then connect.
I have read that using the Same SSID & Credentials, but different channels should achieve this, but will clients moving between zones seemlessly switch from one AP to another as required, or will there be momentarilly 'downtime' as the client disconnects from one AP & then rejoins another (albeit the same SSID)

Many thanks to whomever may be able to shed some light onto this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.