DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Poor connection since channel change

• sparkymarcopolo
  • Topic Author
More
30 Jan 2014 16:11 #1 by sparkymarcopolo
Poor connection since channel change was created by sparkymarcopolo
Since changing the channel from 6 to 11 to see if this would improve connection, it's actually worse. This is after I performed a Wi-Fi scan to see which local inits were in range and what channel they were using.

Some of my units don't see the main ssid automatically and although the wireless strength suggests 'excellent', actual usage is really bad. Surely changing the channel should not have had this level of affect?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• babis3g
  • User
  • User
More
30 Jan 2014 17:09 #2 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Poor connection since channel change
Perhaps more possible reason ... is because some tools (including the one from draytek) only showing wifi signals from routers ... could be on this channel (11 in this case) signal from a cordless phone, or a baby monitor or a wifi hidden signal (draytek can do this i think) or a remote control of a unit etc ... most of them they do operate at same signals of the spectrum/range 2.4 G band but the free tools or in other words the basic tools will not detect them

i always using inSSIDer (just has little more details) but still will not show either signals from other devices unless we get the paid version and is expensive for me (and i don't really need it)

Another reason but less possible, could be according your environment such masonry,walls, location of the router etc ... channel 11 may not be the best ...

More
05 Feb 2014 13:28 #3 by frag
Replied by frag on topic Re: Poor connection since channel change
babis is correct, also look to broad spectrum sources of noise. Things like microwaves, power lines and high voltage machinery all play havoc with wireless signals.

More
06 Feb 2014 13:10 #4 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Poor connection since channel change
There's a summary of 'everything' you can do to improve wireless LAN:

http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/wlan-performance

Forum Administrator