2830n Router & AP-700/800 Multi SSID/Vlans

• sjgnet
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Mar 2014 14:25 #1 by sjgnet
Hello

I have a customer running a Nursing home with a diverse network. But it is all currently one LAN with the only wi-fi being from the 2830n router in the main building and a Belkin AP in an Office block
( How do add an attachment, I have a diagram!!)

They want to be able to expand their Wi-Fi Coverage for staff to most of the main building.
And provide separate Wi-Fi Access to Residents and Guests for internet and email access only. Then have an unused AP-700 Access point
Both this and the Router support Multiple SSID's and VLAN taging.

As the system is in a live environment there is no opportunity for me do do any testing of configuration.

I am looking at The AP-700 and or AP-800’s to provide additional Wi-Fi Coverage. And one or more P-1080 8-Port PoE Switch’s as it will provide PoE for AP-800’s

My question is ?
There is only one Network cable from the 2830n router direct to that location. Can I setup a P-1080 at the Nurses station, and have that PC on an Untagged LAN providing their staff access.
Then run one or more AP-800’s from the P-1080 running and untagged secure SSID/Vlan for staff access and and tagged SSID/Vlan form Resident/Staff Access.
All the above will have to comunicate back to the 2830n router via the one Cat5e Ethernet connection

In Summary:
My vision for simplicity is that the staff systems are untagged, as there is a diverse selection of old switches that have no Vlan capabilities
The Guest & Residents Wi-Fi Access is on a tagged VLan Isolated from the Business LAN traffic.

Regards
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikacom
  • User
  • User
More
10 May 2014 19:02 #2 by mikacom
Personally I would tag both networks.

Old equipment that doesn't support VLAN tagging can be tagged at the port where it joins the new kit and is then tagged all the way back to the router.

This does of course depend on where you are connecting AP800's in the network, and a network diagram would help

You should be able to attach images between IMG tags

Code:
[img][/img]

Or upload to a file host and insert URL tags

Code:
[url][/url]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.